17/10 Dis Topic - Map Editor Initial Impressions

davo

Well, I learnt to use it faster than I expected. It's not as difficult as Westwood made it out to be. I don't like that you have to paint tiles so that the game knows what's going on. I also don't like that adding shadows and making the map preview thumbnail are not built into the game.

BTW I've just made a map. You should be able to download it soon. DOWNLOAD IT! (so I don't feel that my hard work was all in vain)

Just as Sven the Slayer except i hate it that Starcrafts map editor has a ton more options then this one....i mean its 2001 and when did Starcraft come out 1998???Geeze WW get it to gother yea im glad you released it but wheres the campange part?No scripted conversations?No nothing...whatz up WW? :(

Just as Sven the Slayer except i hate it that Starcrafts map editor has a ton more options then this one....i mean its 2001 and when did Starcraft come out 1998???Geeze WW get it to gother yea im glad you released it but wheres the campange part?No scripted conversations?No nothing...whatz up WW? :(

but remember westwood also said that its not that good,

since no one got paid.Also westwood made it a tiny bit more modified from when they had it. If you read the message boards you'll find out.

It's a simplistic engine so I expected a simplistic editor, the real skill comes from just putting in enough detail so maps don't look boring, or so they don't look cluttered.

The rule of thirds doesn't seem to apply, not does standard design so its fairly free-form to all the artists out there, but if you can make a map look good... Do it (hence my customised lighting and colour washes).

Also I try to make my maps fairly cliched, so I know someone will have fun at that pinch point...  ::)

Sorry guys but my latest map had a big error. The ramp tiles overlapped the cliff edge. I have corrected it, but I haven't exactly tested it. I placed the tiles well, so if it doesn't work this time, I don't know...

(The replacement should arrive soon (if Gob got my email).)

Hey guys i'm having a little trouble with the colourwash it seems hard (very).

Sorry i havent even bothered with the editor in a few dayz and i really havent had tiime to begine with the colorwash part...but im sure if you need to know anything at all with the editor ask <sniper> he seems like "Mister know it all"....

"Sven the map wasn't actually... Erm.. Centered (despite its name 'Around the Centre')."

Yes, I'm terribly sorry about the name. :-[ I just didn't think it was important. I called it Around the Centre because all the players started sort of around the centre. (I know, it's stupid, but, as I said before, I didn't think it was that important.) I think I'll leave the map making up to you from now on. If I do make another map I'll think up a better name.    

I Downloaded it with a 128K modem in like 30min. Just get getright or Gozilla, and while you are sufing the web download the map editor, with getright or Gozilla, and when you have to

go somewhere just leave it and if it messes up just reconnect

and it will resume from the last place it was. To get getright or gozilla just go to getright.com or gozilla.com.

The map editor is great!  ;D Im still figuring out how to use more complicated aspects such as water, bridges and buildings. I havent got any of these things to work well. Buildings screw the game up, bridges are screwy, i dont know how to put water in and i dont even know what an AI zone is for. Once i get this stuff straightened out, ill send in some kooky maps to gobalopper.  ;D

I find the map editor very easy to use: I have already constructed three detailed maps in the few hours or so since I downloaded the editor last Thursday (mon. now).  I find the interface very powerful and not all crappy user-friendly like the StarCraft editor was.  Remember Westwood gave us thier editor as-is, and I welcome the first ever Westwood attempt at pleasing thier fans with a map editor.

On a side note, anyone here ever used Blender for 3-D graphics editing?  You'll never say this map editor has a crappy interface again, I'll tell you!  ::)

Alam Al-Mithal

8)

AlphaBeta4000  

I found all you need is One Ramp tile beside a rock tile , and the no ramps defined message will go away.

You can surround that ramp tile with any other tile type but one ramp tile must touch a rock tile.

You might be able to get it to work with other tile types but i haven`t tried many others.

"I found all you need is One Ramp tile beside a rock tile , and the no ramps defined message will go away.

You can surround that ramp tile with any other tile type but one ramp tile must touch a rock tile.

You might be able to get it to work with other tile types but i haven`t tried many others."

WHAT?

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???