utterly useless units that need to be patched

Navaros

i know EA ain't never gonna patch Emperor BUT there is the saying "it's ok to dream"

plus, by reminding the public of just how evil EA is and how they abandoned Emperor long before it was complete, perhaps i might convince others to "fight the good fight!" with me by boycotting ALL EA products just like i have done ever since i saw what they did to Emperor.

the following units are UTTERLY USELESS and need to be patched:

Guild Maker

Orni

Contaminator

Sonic Tank

as you know these units NEVER get used in a real, competitive game on WOL by any even semi-decent player.

Nav is back? i thought u left for good.......

don't know if you mean this in a good or bad way but here are some relevant lyrics from one of my favorite rock songs:

Well guess who's back in circulation...

Now I don't know what you may have heard,

But what I need right now is the original, good time girl!

just think of the "good time girl" part as a blessing that Nav wishes that all of his many fans to have a good time girl of their very own.

and if you support my demand for a new Emperor patch to fix these useless units, let your opinions in this thread be heard.

Hmm, yes, i agree with you in a way I think. The Sonic tank is too hard to use withour killing your own, other than that is is a quite powerful weapon. I think the orni is pretty good, although it is indeed not equal to the Harkonnen gunship so i'd say lower the price of the orni to 750 or something. Apart from that though, I don't think the orni is that bad, it's still effective at what it should do.

Contaminator yes, should be faster and more like 150 or 200 credits.

The guild maker, i think is not TOO bad, it's just way too expensive. 1000 credits for a unit that is only good vs. massed infantry and it will never kill for 1000 credits worth of infantry.

I think that some units were deliberately made weak to keep game balance, if atr orni was as strong as hark then no stopping them with airdrone support.

i mean imagine hark combat tank with shell range and capacity of minos it would be unstopable or hark missile launcher with armour of tank.

I would have like to see a hark troop carrier though and maybe an increase of speed for the makers.

I don't agree with that, that some units needed to be weak on purpose to balance the game.

If some units needed to be useless, I would have preferred to have them removed from the game, and have another unit instead, a unit who does has a purpose.

The only useless units is the contaminator and maybe the guild maker, the rest are oke. If the sonic wouldnt kill his own troops it would be overpowerd and almost unstopable with a bit support.

Ornis are fine in what they do, like Rene said.

I am not sure bout the maker, he is good against infantry but its to easy to kill it and it costs to much.

The only reason the orni's and sonic tanks dont get used are because you need to advance pretty far up the tech tree, and most of the time, ur dead by then. In the single player (or against an AI) the sonic tanks can be useful.

Make 3, then assign them to 3 different groups (usually 1, 2, and 3), then cover your ears and let the good times roll!

It is sooo much fun watching massed groups of infantry become nothing more than a veterancy level for a sonic tank.  ;D ;D

The only reason the orni's and sonic tanks dont get used are because you need to advance pretty far up the tech tree, and most of the time, ur dead by then.

The reason sonic tanks aren't used, is because they are pathetic. tech tree has nothing to do with it.

I agree with contaminator.guildmaker.n orni need to be patched. expecially contami n maker must be change totally, but not Sonic tank. i saw sonictanks used many in playing. At least it useful against hark i guess. Sonic is just weak against fedakin n sardelite. if atr units are almost suck except mino, how can we say emp is good balaced RTS game? sandbike good too for well micro controller.

i guess suck units in emp are few.

Nav, you make a list of EVERYTHING you think needs improved/nerfed/otherwise changed (and how you want it changed), and I'll cut a deal: I'll do a mod for you with all of your changes that can be done, done.

it's a generous offer but unfortunately it wouldn't be worthwhile for you to do this since no matter how good your Mod is, most people on WOL will never own it (due to lack of auto-download capabilities on WOL).  therefore, for me to have these changes in place but be unable to use them online vs. most other people - your Mod would do no good.

I am presently making a new mod where the ordos are replaced by TL-Guild alliance. In this I intend to use contaminators that use the Invincible armour (that in standard EBFD does zero damage) so that most units do little or no damage, while heavy artillery or flame units will be successful.

In addition I intend to improve and cost reduce the Gu Maker.

Of course as a mod it unlikely that anyone will use it on-line.

As to why some of these units are weak - Campaign play balance. The contaminator if more powerful would kill the Fremen and the Duke Achillus in the first caladan mission. The Gu Maker would be too powerful in the last mission (another reason the GuNIAB has a long no-fire pause after jumping). If the Orni was more powerful (while being fast) it would kill Ordos bases too easily (the Campaign AI is not that good at air-defence). As to the Sonic Tank, it's strength and weaknesses were inherited from Dune II/2000, though I also believe if you could build it at the same time as a mino (ie no starport requirement) it would probably get used a bit more.

Wenn u start on mass minos making a starport isnt that hard, the problem is that sonics are to slow and have a weak armor, u can kill a few minos with sonics but you cant kill a lots of minos even if you mass sonics, cuz they will kill eachother and they will probly get killed before they reach the mino to actually fire.

Some do Sonic drop wich it quiet effective, but a good player has anti-air so that mostly fails against a decent player.

Its a goood unit, but later in the game it loses his effectivnes and u cant build it early in the game so it is kinda useless.

I agree with Nav.  I never used any of these stupid units, with the exception of the ornithopter.  If I was clearly winning the game I might have purchased a few ornis, but they just weren't worth it in a competitive game.

As for the sonic tank, it has not good use against a good player.  Spend your money on Fedaykin instead.