the teilaxu and todays science

thomas

I would disagree about the comparision, in Tleilaxu research they used questionable medical practices, being one of the reasons they shrouded themselves in secrecy to a certain extent. What way do you see today's science and Tleilaxu science being the same?

Remember though after the jihad that computer technology was banned. I think that after the jihad it was okay to mess with genetics. Just as long as you didnt make computers in the likness of man. I think that their technology was accepted because it was mostly biological.:)

Frank Herbert was a visionary. He realized that there are 2 types of technologies that, if developed without control, could destroy humanity:

Robotics and genetics

IX and Tleilaxu

Get it?

I'm amazed, no, SCARED of how similar the later Dune books (after Children) are to my own conception of the future, assuming we avoid WW3. I see 3 paths:

1. Computers become much more intelligent than us and eliminate the "obsolete" humans - Ixian Jihad

2. Genetically enhanced no-longer-human creatures eradicate us - Tleilaxu Jihad

3. Space exploration takes precedence and both robotics and genetics stagnate - THE GOLDEN PATH

The scary thing is that I though of these BEFORE reading Dune. *shudders*

Great minds think alike... ;)

Well edric. I am a christian so the whole thing of computers and stuff seems a little silly because it is not in the bible. Yeah I may be made fun of for it but its true. Also though. Our artificial intelligence is very very primitive. In fact if you ask scientists and people that study computer theory. You will see that till we can make computer chips much smaller. (Which would be quite an amazing breakthrough figuring that they are already really really small. just say 15.000.000 in a 3-d card.) In order to mimic the brain. Read destination: Void. Frank has it pegged. You will see that they make an artificial intelligence from little devices taht copy the acts of a nerve cell. They attach them all togehter to the ship to create SHIP. The godlike space ship that takes them to Pandora.:)

I'm a Christian too, and of course I believe Revelation is an accurate description of Armageddon. But there are many ways to interpret it... and who knows what will hapen UNTIL then?

Besides, all that destruction might very well be caused by thinking machines... or genetic abominations.

When man starts playing God, you just KNOW something is gonna go terribly wrong. :(

Yeah nema finally understanding.lol God can do what we cant. God is perfect and we arent. The reason we shouldnt play god is because we arent perfect. Once you attain perfection then I dont see anything wrong with messing with genetics and stuff:)

Perfection is not able to be attained. God isnt flesh. He is beyond that. God is pure spirit. No matter what we will always have mortal bodies. We might live forever but we could still be killed. Now if we had angelic bodies that were composed of light or something of that sort. I could see that we would have close to perfect bodies. But it all comes down to the mind. What do we think. What do we feel? Our brains will never attain perfection. We will always think thoughts that are imperfect. Once we all have perfect mindsets and minds. THen you can do it no problem. We created the mess of this world. by sin. We cant fix it only god can.

Hey, hey, HEY! Please DO NOT turn this into another religious debate!

I plan on using this thread for my apocaliptic predictions... ;D

Did you ever hear of the 4 stages of intelligent life?

1. Natural bodies - us

2. Artificial bodies - as intelligence expands the natural bodies are no longer suitable, so we transfer our minds to complex machines

3. Non-corporeal - our minds develop further, until even artificial bodies are a burden. We then use spacetime itself to carry our thoughts

4. Omnipotence - we manage to subdue and control spacetime with our thoughts. The Universe is our toy.

Of course, this is assuming our intelligence actually DOES grow over time. And assuming God does nothing to prevent it.

We cant fix it only god can.

It's obvious that God doesn't plan to.  It seems he/she has left us to live or die by our own will.

The way I see things is that, if we're ever to prosper as a species and become closer to perfection, we must use our intelligence to it's fullest.  Stunting our abilities by avoiding technology isn't going to help.

You're right that we mortals cannot achieve perfection, but we should still strive to achieve the next best thing.