Computer Speed,Game Speed & Butt Kicking

scotsman

Playing online is a great experience. However, playing against superfast computers really hurts. I use a pentium 200 computer and it seems to hold its own against pentium 3 generation computers (1.0GHz or less), if they host. Put me up against a pentium 4 and I'm worse than cannon fodder. My build rate is about 1/4 speed of the faster machines. Using the handicap system does little to help (stars). My advice when playing online is to seek out people with a similar machine speed, at least the same generation of computer. This will make for a more interesting game for the more experienced and a little less humiliating for us novices (newbies).

Is build rate a direct relation to computer speed, or am I talking crap? In one game I watched my opponent build 2 refineries and a heavy before I finished my refinery. In that game I think I dented his tank before being wiped out. LOL

Yes my game speed was on max.

Yes I'm working towards a faster computer.

hey scotsman

this is a tough question you ask , ive never known computer speed to make a difference in the game , I have done some on-line tests before with no difference in build speed , when I first started playing dune2000 online I had a AMD 750 mhz computer(pritty low spec)........hard to belive , but unit control and a little skill is what wins games not a fast computer.

c u soon

shy ::)

Good advice, Thanks

In multiplayer practice mode my build rate is quicker than when playing on line. My connection speed online is 48K with a 56K dial up modem. Would it make a difference in build rate if a computer has a better connection speed?

I don't stop building, which seem to be the main advice and my spice flow is good. My power bar is just into the green, does this need to be at the top. I figured this only needs to stay in green, waste of spice to bring this near the top?

I have a feeling there is alot more to learn in online gaming if machine speed has nothing to do with build speed.

I'd hate to admit it but perhaps being quick in the missions and practice mode is still to slow for online gaming.

Good advice, Thanks

In multiplayer practice mode my build rate is quicker than when playing on line. My connection speed online is 48K with a 56K dial up modem. Would it make a difference in build rate if a computer has a better connection speed?

broardband games are quicker , as in no lag , but the build rate remains the same , i have a 56k dial up modem which connects at 31k , but my games are still among the fastest out there , ...why ? .... because i run with all the correct patches , no firewall or antivirus programmes running ,RC , all background programmes stoped , 8 bit , and all the other tricks to make your games run quicker i also have software to opptimise my pc for gaming , i have had to kick broardband players from my games befor has there connection is to slow , due to firewalls and other programmes lagging there connection.

Try and keep your power in the green , i run at full power all the time , but this does not affect build speed , the only way to increas build speed is to build 3 heaveys 3 barracks and 3 light factories ( 3 being optimun) 3 mcv also increases build speed for structures.

it doesnt matter how good you are in practice mode , it counts for nothing on-line , as im sure you realise now ,

hope this helps scoty.

c u soon

shy ::)

Shy has it right Scotsman. The game time is synchronized so that you have all the same build rate factors, if you have 3 heavy factories and your opponent has 3 heavies then you produce tanks at same rate(although I have never tested for a time rate difference between houses-hmmmmmm maybe some research is needed shy) Anyway, if your opponent has a slower computer then yours will slow, if the opponent has a faster computer then his game speed will slow down. The problem with playing with people who have a faster computer is that their reaction time is greater due to practicing and playing at higher speeds. Their build order is ingrained and they have more time to think because everything is slower than normal for them.

Ghost and Shy

Thanks, I've just run out of excuses for my poor play!

Lots of learning ahead for this newbie. Still we all started from the bottom at some stage.

Horror05 taught me something when I played him (if you could call our game a match), and that is lots oh' harvesters early on, and a slightly modified build order will help. Less thinking about what to do and more building and action.

All the best

• 2 years later...