Frank's notes for "coloring" Brian's series of books.

TMA_1

UGO: Are you still using those 1300 pages of notes you found when Frank Herbert died?

BH: The notes are more for coloring. There is a lot of philosophy, religion and some epigraphs. We also have found new chapters that dad wrote that he cut out. For example, the meeting of Lady Jessica and Duke Leto where one of them pulls a knife on the other. Frank Herbert wrote that scene; Kevin and I sanded it on each side and fit it into our stories. We're finding things like that, but mostly it's inspiration from my father.

Hmmm, does anybody see anything wrong with this? Granted there should always be some artistic licsence in many cases, but when you are trying to duplicate works from your long dead father, and make the works fit as best as you can in the dune universe, you dont use his notes so loosely! Also, the fans want Dune, they dont want starwars or terminator. Kevin and Brian are trying to create their own visions with the "aid" and "coloring" of frank's notes. Well I want everything from frank's notes that are serious to be put in their series of books. No offence to brian or kevin, but They need to stop putting their own stamp on the Dune universe. It would be different if it was a book being made that didnt have as large and loyal a fan base, and didnt expect the closest to Frank's ideas in the stories.

I just think that this quote from UGO says a lot. Are brian and kevin really just using these notes to add flavor to their series? it sounds like they are coming up with all sorts of stuff out of their own creative skills, and using little bits and pieces of Frank's ideas. Ill be frank, I dont want brian and kevin's creative skills, they must be used yes, and much of the books will have to be completely original because there are only 1300 notes, but those are a lot of notes, and if they are used for what Brian said, then gross! those 1300 notes could be a treasure trove of information. They might have a lot of info on things not pertinant to the story, but it just doesnt sound like they are using them to their full potential.

what do you guys think?

Remember they are just notes, not a book. Of course you would think with that amount laid out for Dune 7, they should be able to follow his notes well, without having to create main plots and ideas.

As long as they publish his notes sometime (more than likely a couple years or more after Dune 7) I am happy. (although I see no reason why not to use Franks notes to the fullest in Dune 7)

i can totally see where you're comin from, I mean, at first glance it looks like they're almost just using the notes to keep the old school fans at bay from lynching them. but after reading the Q&A a couple times, i'm hoping that not only are they using the notes to "color" but justl ike the chapter part, using them to flesh out a plot. With the complete outline to Dune 7 there is no excuse for them to take too much liscencing to the novel, with that book frank gave them the bones and all they need to do is flesh it out. with their prequels, and "necessary information" that frank had given them in the notes, they were given the flesh or the "color" in which they had to give a skeleton. that just made sense when i said it in my head.... make sense to you guys?! lol ???

Remember they are just notes, not a book. Of course you would think with that amount laid out for Dune 7, they should be able to follow his notes well, without having to create main plots and ideas.

As long as they publish his notes sometime (more than likely a couple years or more after Dune 7) I am happy. (although I see no reason why not to use Franks notes to the fullest in Dune 7)

lol come on andrew, I know the notes arent books you silly head, :D

"those 1300 notes could be a treasure trove of information. They might have a lot of info on things not pertinant to the story, but it just doesnt sound like they are using them to their full potential."

That is from the first post on this thread, I said there that they arent books in the least, that they are scattered ideas. Brian didnt say that he was using all he could from them, or that he was harnessing all of what he could from them, he just said that he and kevin took what they thought "fit". This isnt using the notes to their full potential. It seems they place more than anything their own twists on things, and that is alright, but from what I can see from that small bit of info, the notes arent taken advantage of, tthrowing out things they dont like, things that might not mix with what brian and kevin want. I could be wrong, but that is what it seems like at first glance, and if that is the truth then I dont like it. Of course they need to use their own fan-fiction creativity, but still there are a lot of notes, and even if there is a lot of random thoughts and ideas, I dont think that they are capable of using it all, I am wondering if they are even trying.

"Remember they are just notes, not a book."

I was referring that to

1300 pages of notes! thats enough for like 2 of the prelude books!

mostly. As I thought he might have thought that that amount of notes could purely make two books, with little other input.

But I got the impression those notes were mostly for Dune 7. (As I doubt Frank was thinking about writing 6 Dune novels that take place before the original Dune.)

that is insightful, I never really thought of it but yeah, he was definitely going to write Dune 7, and was in the process of doing so before he died. I really dont think he was planning on making three prequels about the happenings dozens of years before the stuff that happened in Dune.

And also andrew, your still a silly head.lol ;D

Know ofcourse, that to write a good book, requires more writing then the book itself. Every character's life and thoughts about things must be written out, to create a good profile, so that the person behaves like it should behave in the book according to what it has done in the past.

Furthermore histories of certain things are written, which the reader will never read.

As a reader you will only read a fraction of what the writer wrote.

So it is more likely that those 1300 pages were meant for one book, and not more...

you mean that things are just thrown in to give the reader a feeling of frank herbert's writing and creative thought? Like some things are just placed in certain places to make it more canonical, but in reality is just making it sound fake and overdone? is that what you mean nema?