the question that has been asked a million times over

xenogear74

so here's the biggie... if a new Dune movie were to be made who do you think should helm it and who can you imagine in it? I loved the miniseries for it's faithfulness and i even loved some of the actors in it (GurneyMan ruled ;D) but i couldn't help but feel that given the full support of a major motion production and a special effects house I.E WETA or ILM, a credited cinematographer and a writer who would be willing to do what Jackson did with the LOTR (change it enough to make it viable for a motion picture but make it show respect for us fans out there)a masterpiece would be born. I dunno... thoughts or ideas anyone?

P.S. the only thing i'd want them to keep from lynch would be the stillsuits... damn those were on target as opposed to the robes and styrefoam cup rebreathers taht the miniseries used! haha.

Kubrick's way to sterile and detached for a film like Dune.

thats exactly why he would be a great director for Dune, but his films are not sterile and attached, it might be your interpritation of what his movies are like, but I really disagree in my opinion. Though he may seem candid and pure at times in his making of films, I think that is what makes him so great, and lets face it, Dune isnt exactly the melo drama that any normal director would make.

David Fincher is a great director, loved seven and fightclub, but I think that he is too flashy, and not slow and epic enough to make a movie like Dune.

I think a director like Wolfgang Peterson, Robert Wise, Ridley Scott,

or even Paul Verhoven, people like them could make a good version of Dune.

Of course I think that though the Director is probably the most important part of making a movie like Dune, Cinematography and conceptual artistry is extremely important, jobs that make the movie visually exciting.

beyond i completely agree, i really wish ridley scott would have stayed on course with the later david lynch verision (even though i do love those crazy stillsuits) but i think ur right, he would give dune that epic feel that it truly deserves. I was also thinking that since it is now proven with LOTR that audiences will indeed sit through a 3+ hour movie if the story is good enough, that the possibility of a longer dune is a real possibility. I'd appreciate if they tried to keep CGI as much out of the film as possible. Even though it's perfect for the worms and such, I would dread to see a blue screen atrocitity like the SW Prequels applied to dune.

Ridley Scotts the one who wanted Paul and Jessica to become incestous lovers.

I am talking about his directing skills and how his style would fit into what I see is the best way of making an epic like Dune. Blade runner, Alien, movies like that. (gladiator sucks! lol)

I am not talking about him writing the screenplay, or him having any part in altering it, I am talking about his pure directing skills, you know that mahman. hmmm, that was kinda silly sounding.lol

THat is quite weird that he wished to do that, but jodorowsky wanted to do the same, and also it is irrelavent, because I was just saying who would be the best director, not who would be the best screen writer. Many directors have influence on the movies they make, but I am talking strictly directing.

No director just purely "directs" the film and does not touch the screenplay. They change things to fit their own visions, it is what they do. You have a writer tell a director that he can't change a single thing in the screenplay, and the writers ass is grass. Int he end, the director has the final say over the project, it's his fault if the film fails, it's his greatness that allows it to succeed. The only way you could possibly get a pure Dune movie like that is to have Frank Herbert direct it, and his screenplay was supposedly well over three hundred and fifty pages long (btw, a page approximatly equals a minute in a script, although it varies) and really, really blew.

mahdi...lol i know that they do more than directing, but I was talking about the attribute of directing, the pure part of what it is. That is why I picked them. Also riddley Scott has collaborated in some great movies, just because that wierd slip was made, doesnt mean it wouldnt have been a good movie, and that is not what I was getting at anyway. (Also there are some cases where a director only directs, and has writers follow the person who wrote the screen play, even if the director supervises in these cases, he doesnt do much. Usually though they are involved in the matter.

Also, I know how to write screen plays mahdi. ;) :P hehe, but I must say you know your film, that is quite cool, want to talk on a chat program about film?

Hmmm. This is what I have so far...

Paul Atreides:

Duke Leto Atreides:

Lady Jessica:

Thufir Hawat:

Emperor Shaddam IV: John Cleese

Hasimir Fenring: Rowan Atkinson

Piter deVries: Rich Hall

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen: Johnny Vegas

Liet Kynes: Dave Gorman

Stilgar: Sanjeev Bhaskar

Harah: Mira Syal

Duncan Idaho: Johnathan Ross

Gurney Halleck: Paul Merton?

Gaius Mohiam: Jo Brand?

Ok, I'm incorporating things from below, but I've not heard of this 'Jimmy Carr' or 'David Warner'. Jefferey Archer... funny, but in the wrong way, I think: He himself is not funny.

Emperor Shaddam IV: John Cleese

Sorry, but that wouldn't work. John Cleese is not to play any "serious" character anymore after all the comedy characters he did :)

*is reminded of Monty Python's Michelangelo sketch, with John Cleese as the pope*