Does a true verison of the 1984 Verison of Dune Truly Exist - 3.12 Verision

Alia Atreides

Hi

I was just wondering does a true verison of this "phantom" verision of the Dune 1984 movie exist? I am beginning to beleive it is not so... I have yet been had again purchasing what was supposed to be the 3hour 12 minute verison of Dune (with the parts that were cut out when it aired on the Sci-Fi Channel) only to find out it was the same verison that was shown on the sci-fi channel even with the words... To Be Continued at the beginning of the attack on House Atreides.

It is really pissing me off becuase this is the third time it has happened.

So I was wondering does such a verision exist??

It would have in it suppostly:

Thufir Death

Alia running through the Dead Bodies instead of just a crysknife.

From what I got out of Eye, it seems that the film cut out could still be on the cutting room floor. Frank said that he wished they would allow some sort of miniseries or some sort of way to let out the entire 5 + hour movie. Sounds like universal needs to spill the beans on this issue.

by the way, I have been had too from ebay. I bought "dune uncut" which said that it had much more than what has been showed previously. All it is is the old theatrical version with a few added scenes. (personally I like the version with frank herbert narrating.) my hopes were brought up when I saw the alan smithee name which meant that there must have been a lot of additions lynch didnt like. Then I watched the sci fi version and it was exactly the same! frustrating.

It is frustrating all thanks for the input about amazon... however I think that Dune verison is only Region 2 which leaves me out as I live in Region 1 :(.

Yes I too like the verison with Frank Herbert narrating it if that idiot De Laundres hadn't insisted to drop that from the theatrical verison it would of been much better understood by all.

Ebay really blows at times. They put on the cover that it is 3 hours and 12 minutes long when I through it into my dvd player it said 2 hours and 58 minutes.

Just like people to take adavantage of us the fans.

15 hours of the original Dune would be a gift from heaven...

the banquet scene alone would have me tingling. ive always felt shafted at the banquet scene in the miniseries...so much happened during the book...but the movie it was..a banquet.

All I can say about this topic is that I found a new version of Dune movie. There are the same actors and actress, the same background but no scene seems to be as in the Lynch's movie. Actually, I found it in a Dune special collection, that contained also a second film directed in 1984 by Alan Smythee (it sounds like the 2 movies were made together) that is 180' instead of Lynch's 137'.

It seems there is a part where Thufir was killed, but I have to see it again to tell you rightly.

Ah, I'm from Italy, that movie wasn't never released in my country before, and it's fully in english language, even with italians subtitles.

From what I got out of Eye, it seems that the film cut out could still be on the cutting room floor. Frank said that he wished they would allow some sort of miniseries or some sort of way to let out the entire 5 + hour movie. Sounds like universal needs to spill the beans on this issue.

There is no 5+ hour version of Dune. It's a myth. All the original footage was lost in a fire.

Lost in a fire??? Are you sure? I heard from some website on the Dune movie (can't remember where it is) that it still exists. But they also said that they often have six hours of footage when a movie is originally filmed but that they normally cut out a whole lot. So, according to them, Dune is not completely unique when it comes to this.

All I can say about this topic is that I found a new version of Dune movie. There are the same actors and actress, the same background but no scene seems to be as in the Lynch's movie. Actually, I found it in a Dune special collection, that contained also a second film directed in 1984 by Alan Smythee (it sounds like the 2 movies were made together) that is 180' instead of Lynch's 137'.

It seems there is a part where Thufir was killed, but I have to see it again to tell you rightly.

Ah, I'm from Italy, that movie wasn't never released in my country before, and it's fully in english language, even with italians subtitles.

Now seriously. WHERE IS IT?

• 3 weeks later...

okay, didn't read anithing, but, the 1984 version is the allan Smithee version.

I've just taped it on MoviePix this night :P It's written the date on my TV programming: 1984.

And that's the "extended" version supposly directed by allen Smithee, wich is a nickname for any director who don't want to see his name on a film, in this case, that version of Lynch's Dune...