CoD versus Frank Herbert's Dune

Tio_Holtzmann

Sounds like fun.

Frank Herbert's Dune.

It is much better than COD, the only main problems are the background drops and sometimes color problems.

But COD is great also. And it had William Hurt in it. :) (who is a good actor) (but I was raised on FHD, so that's a main reason)

err, COD was closer to the 2 novels, than the first mini was to only one novel?

I think FHD was much closer to the novel than COD was to both novels. I got dissoriented when watching COD as it differed from the books(which I had recently read) in many ways.

i dunno, i think there were loads of weird plot changes in FH's dune, when i rewatched it i seemed to think they'd only loosely based on what was in the book, compared to CoD, i know the whole wensicia thing was a tad confusing, but i think they stuck to more of the books excellently.

or maybe the lack of brain is affecting my sleep....

I felt as if Frank Herbert's Dune was very much similar to the book. The real differences is the lack of important scenes and the cutting down of characters. Which made it a little difficult to understand especially when you see Paul take over parts that Leto had in order to enhance Paul's character. (Such as the taking in the profits of smugglers which was originally Leto's line in the book but, Paul said it in the Miniseries)

I much preferred Children of Dune. The direction, special effects, production values, acting, and writing were all much, much better than in the first mini.

Sure it wasn't as close to the novels as the first one was, but it was still exceptional.

I liked the Children of Dune miniserie more then the FHD serie.

It's because COD has much depth then FHD, and it had good acting, good action, and everything is set up the good way. And I think there are some small parts that they even improve the story line, for example, when Duncan Idaho gets his memory back after the birth of the Children, and kills Bijaz.

And I can never forgive FHD that they wasted Thufir Hawat, as if he was a minor person. Thufir Hawat is one of the best of all characters in Dune.

FHD was good, but it looks like to me that they have put much more efforts and ambition in COD, and the music is there better too.

yeah nixing hawat too early in FHD was one of the many bad things, and the fact that duncan idaho got blown up by a shell.....that made me think there wasnt going to be a sequel cos making a ghola out of bits and pieces didnt seem likely. but i digress.

yeah i think the dune messiah part of CoD was fantastic cos it was very neatly contained, all the plot was there and it worked brilliantly, without many major alterations that didnt make any sense.

are there any plans to do GEoD and Heretics and Chapter House? cos i actually can't imagine heretics and chapter house as feasible, cos they're just too much like philosophical books. GEoD might just make it.....

think tis called Frank Herbert's Children Of Dune.

Perhaps all the books will come out but it will take more editing to make it suitable for a wider audience perhaps, altho considering the amount of sexual imprinting that's going on in books 5 and 6 i wonder if the last dunes are going to be 18s!