KJA + BH

Dunenewt

I'd just like to say how appalled I am at the amount of anti-KJA/BH bias on this board. I just think people should recognise the great work they havee done for the world of Dune and that I'm sure Frank would be proud of his son's continuation of his world. The Dune Encyclopedia is nothing more than fan-fiction as confirmed by the writer and in any disagreement between the prequels and the DE the prequels are always going to be right as they are the 'official' version.

Without KJA/BH I'm sure there Dune would be a lot less well-known than it is today and less popular I expect. I have enjoyed reading all of the Dune books whether they are by FH or KJA/BH and my favourite book is House Harkonnen. I'm also greatly looking forward to any more Dune books written by them unlike most people here.

I like them, I just like Frank more. :P

Their new books has helped the Duniverse, (along with original Dune miniseries) As I'm sure there are more Dune fans(as in literary, not game wise) now than 6 years ago.

People can decide as to whether or not they they like the new books, it's their opinion. If you don't like them, don't read them.

It's not so much that I dislike the fact that they've written for Dune, that's all well and good. It's just that it could have been done significantly better.

Well, apparently BH and KJA couldn't, or they would have done it, and a third-party writer probably wouldn't get the rights, so you have to choose between this and nothing, I'm afraid :)

IMO the prequals and the other KJA and BH books a child books. They push way to many stupid plots into them, and rush all the way through. In my eyes the books are nothing more than a crappy way to make money on a master piece.

I couldn't care less that it has made dune more visible, I could live with not having read any of them. Unfortunately I did, but I wont read anymore of them.

What other think is their problem. I'd rather have Franks own notes.

Why should the prequels be the official stuff? Just because they own the rigths? well maybe it is official by that. But that doesn't make it true. I believe more in the DE, it gives great explanations. Ok, they incompatibilities with Dune, but that is because McNelly wrote before Heretics and Chapterhouse of Dune were published, so McNelly couldn't know so much about Idaho's past, and Gammu/Giedi Prime.

But there are also incompatibilities in the prequels. Like Dr Yueh telling Prince Rhombur why his wife couldn't bear children, while he was wondering in Dune why he wife didn't give him children, while she was capable of that,

Or Norma Cenva and Aurelius Venport being daughter and father, while in GEOD they are described as lovers.

I consider the prequels and the DE both as fan fiction. They are not written by the original writer. The thing is that McNelly didn't consider his works as true, while it appears more and more that BH and KJA think it is.

I used to think the prequels as good work. But that was before I read them the next time, and before I read the Dune Encyclopedia (Encyclopaideia ;)) And before BH made that comment about fan fiction writers.

Now I think of them as average work, which is still Dune, but I don't intend to read more, if I see all the reviews on the Machine Crusade...

If you were "raised" on the prequels then sure, but if you were raised on the originals no.

Most people who seen Lynch's Dune in the 80's(or before they seen the minis) seem to like the movie, while people who seen the minis first, may tend to like the minis better than movie.

I was raised on Frank Herbert's Dune Mini, which I think is the best one so far. I also read the original books first which I think are better than the prequels.

But to say the prequels are a waste of paper, is a bit too far. If you don't like em, dont read em. (of course you would have had to read at least one prequel to form a bias.) I think the prequels are good books, but I havent read any of them for the second time yet, but I have read the originals twice or more.

to be honest, i'm getting extremely sick and tired of hearing people bash BH and KJA for their treatment on the prequels. This is NOT supposed to be Frank Herbert here, this is something different and new. I read the original six books first and absolutely fell in love with the series. Herberts writing was so complex, entertaining, intellectual, etc... that it absolutely startled me into how amazing it was.

BUT, at the end of chapterhouse i felt that there was much more that could be said, rather NEEDED to be said and i think that BH and KJA are doing a fine job of it. is it as good as FH? of course not, what author besides tolkein really has been as good at the genre? But ust because they arn't on par or written in the same style as FH, it doesnt' mean they're bad novels. I've loved reading them, they're fun, energetic and much faster paced than the original series and i appreciate that because they're trying to fill in holes of Dune's history and not just spewing facts to us. It isn't just scene set up after scene set up like the star wars prequels, this is old fashioned space opera material that manages to tell us the information the FH thought we should know and more, but in a easier quicker pace. The only novel that they should tread carefully on is Dune 7 because now they're actually roaming in FH's stomping grounds AKA the holy texts, as long as they take their time and adhere to whatever outline FH put together i think they'll be fine.

Sure, every fanboy out there thinks they could do better but i challenege you, could you REALLY sit down and write a good prequel in the vain of FH? could your 50 page fan fiction even be put in the shadow of FH's work? Give these guys some credit.

For people who complain about the order, for gods sake anyone who reads the prequels before the originals deserves what they get, i enjoyed the prequels emmensly because i could learn about the characters i fell i love with in the original novels, to read it any other way as others have postes is ridiculous, but then again, i really dont' think that BH or KJA meant their material to be read first.

Sorry for the long post, just it has been irking me how people have been trying to tear down the work of these authors to the point where they say that as a "true fan" i should only read the original six and pay attention to the DE (while it is a great FanFic, cannon it is not) is BS. So kick back, get a beer (or wine or soda pop if you are so inclined) and read some entertaining stories that give more life to the characters that we fell in love with thanks to FH, and if you don't want to then just reread the originals and quit ragging on the rest of us for enjoying this new work in the Dune Universe. that is all, thank you.

Welcome to Fed2k, always glad to have new duniverse posters.

Eventually this thread will be merged with KJA+BH, but I think it will stay until it gets some coverage. (as it's the same thing as what Dunenewt was saying)

I enjoyed reading the prequels, but enjoy reading originals more often. :) (hope we don't all repeat ourselves from the other thread.) ;)

So what if they are written not as good as franks books. they are different people after all. I like the action filled books written by Brian and Kevin. It is so exiting that you almost can't put down the book, at least that is what I experienced when I read BJ. (I have never read a book that deeply before, but then again I acctually hate reading :- )

and I don't think you guys could have written the books any better >:(

I completely agree with Emperor Harkonnen. I couldn't put down any of the Prequels. And I feel that the Brian and Kevin did an excellent job. The real reason taht they write the way they do in that they add more action sequences and plots is that times have changed with readers. They can't stay in the past. Frank's time had more of prophesy and now all the population wants to see is story lines and gore. It's just the way we humans act and there is no real reason to blame them for having to try and appease the population while still trying to pump out good works.