Reading order for the Dune books

Atomic Mitten

I would recommend reading Frank Herbert's books in order and then go to the Dune Encyclopedia. About the prequels, you may or not read them... My personal view is to look at them as I would look to some books in other series but taking the same Dune environment.

Ignore the last post, I suggest reading Frank's original six books then the House Prequels then the Legends of Dune books. Only read the Dune Encyclopedia as fan fiction as it is more of an alternate set of events than the proper Duniverse.

Frank Herbert did not write the prequels. It was written by those who admire his work - "fans", if you will. Is that not the definition of fan fiction?

Besides, the way I see it, because they're fan fiction in my eyes, I can choose what stories to believe, or I can make up my own detailed history of Dune. You know, imagination and all.

• 6 years later...

Frank Herbert did not write the prequels.  It was written by those who admire his work - "fans", if you will.  Is that not the definition of fan fiction?

True the prequels were not written by Frank Herbert... but they were *not* written by admires, they were written by his son, Brian Herbert.  Brian is simply picking up his father's mantle by using notes and ideas written by Frank before he died.

True the prequels were not written by Frank Herbert... but they were *not* written by admires, they were written by his son, Brian Herbert.  Brian is simply picking up his father's mantle by using notes and ideas written by Frank before he died.

you're right - if they had been admires, they never would have made that crap. And *IF* they are using Franks notes, why wont they release them?

oh...and it's KJA doing the writing

That's the bravest first post from someone I've seen in a long time, I admire your audacity.

That's the bravest first post from someone I've seen in a long time, I admire your audacity.

Yawn. If I remember correctly (can't be bothered checking), Eras Omnius' opening salvo was far more original and at least more interesting.

What intrigues me, though, is the readiness with which people are willing to lend credence to the bullshit idea that just because BoBo is Frank Herbert's "Number One Son" he's suited to "taking up the mantle".

If Brian Herbert were such a fantastic writer in his own right, why did he need a hack to "help" him?

Repeating myself here, but YAWN.

If Brian Herbert were such a fantastic writer in his own right, why did he need a hack to "help" him?

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but Frank's legacy was always going to be a burden on Brian's shoulders, so perhaps he felt he could not face the task alone?