MS closing down MSN chat rooms ? (Messenger Diversion)

Navaros

you know one of the chairmens of MS [ I thought ] orderd to any bulk sales agencu of MS to in no cercumstance loose the market share to Linux. [ not UNIX but Linux specifically ]. If a bulk customer for some reason would seriously want to switch to Linux or buy Linux in stead of MS Windows, in the worst case scenario thet are allowed to offer the entire Windows suite for nothing, or basically nothing.. .

Think Microsoft is caring about their market share just as much as the anual income .. . . The amount of money they have to put into MSN messenger and the XboX might be examples of that. Although I must that, that to be hounest . . .both the XboX and MSN messenger arn't bad things. . . they even accually work. ..

"you call yourself a bi-sexual and we all know that I am Christian and i am not cool with that. so instead of venting your vendetta "

Uhhh, whose vendetta is this? You condemn babylon and those like him of being thoroughly evil, yet you accuse him now of the one being biased against you. You claim he has a motive (he certainly has a reason to dislike you), but you have not shown in any way, shape, or form that any of the posts he has made is in the least bit affected by this, let alone actually made anny attempt to use logic on his arguments.

Accusations of bias on people's arguments (as opposed to data) can only be aetiological, not a rejcection in of itself.

.both the XboX and MSN messenger arn't bad things. . . they even accually work. ..

no it does ***NOT*** work. as of last night, any spyware/adware-less version of MSN Messenger has STOPPED working

the spyware/adware-less versions of MSN Messenger were a good thing. ie: 3.6 and less. the spyware/adware-filled versions are a *BAD*, evil thing

i use Windows because i have no choice. i am a PC gamer, and there is almost zero selection of PC games for Linux. if there was a *viable* alternative to Windows, i would be the first to get it. but MS has a monopoly and that is why there is none

btw, i already LEGALLY AGREED to the terms by which i could access the MSN network when i signed the EULA for 3.6 - therefore they have no legal right to force me to upgrade as they are doing, otherwise they deny access.

"i use Windows because i have no choice."

If this was in response to areyouforit's question, then he said "msn", not MS, to which you replied...

And this is question which is rather important - why do you not simply decide not to use MSN Messenger at all? What stops you?

"btw, i already LEGALLY AGREED to the terms by which i could access the MSN network when i signed the EULA for 3.6"

Do you have those terms? I can't believe they would fail to insert a clause whereby they can stop providing the service. Plus, you've not paid them anything for the service anyway.

Plus, you've not paid them anything for the service anyway.

Yep, It's quite annoying, but people argue very much over free services(a while ago, Fileplanet received some angry words here). Free services should not be taken for granted(E.G MSN Messenger). I thank Microsoft very much for this chat program, and do not "demand" it better.

Demand is a bad word when users are talking about free services. I know Microsoft keep this service because it's tactical, but it's nevertheless a free service, which we should be thankful for.

If you do not like it, you could just stop using it, Navaros. There are many free chat programs out there.

msn rocks, you can talk to people on it!!! and even if it was spyware, you should only be worried if you're talking about something that microsoft dont like like piracy or something illegal.

perhaps it is easier to fund a project with its own money source, i.e have msn raise its own funds by stopping it being a free service rather than having to draw off MS's main funds

perhaps there is advertising on it not cause MS want money but because the ppl who put the ads up realise that a lot of people use it and want to become better known?

i dunno, there's a lot of perhapss there. but i think we'd be better off if some people didnt start from the assumption that MS is really Hell and Bill Gates is really Satan.

@ Navaros.

You keep claimig that MSN messenger is so called spyware. Although can you back that up with packet snifs of the actual information that get's send ? I have several of the Windows Updates and DXcommunica to Microsoft that you as end- user arn't aware of.

Although MSN messenger is another thing. As data get's send in plain text or with not much of coding in it anyway, any one on the net can snif for it and spy on your chats. MS might get some information about your system at the time of boot and install out of your MSN client. Although if there is any general form of spyware in it I would like to know, that is if you would be so kind to make a referance to the so called spyware that should be in the MSN messenger client.

Note that the chat conversations are recorded by MSN servers and monitored. Any probeble info send by the client is no different then any other MS application is sending. The monitoring and recording of your chat's however is possible for anyone with a little bit more knowledge of networking. . so not just Microsoft but also any possible neighbour of you. To compleat the whole story, Microsoft bulk customers can even get a specific messenger server being able to controle client properties and monitor or interviene with client chatsessions. Now before you get jumpy on that aspect [ which I do agree is a thing not very desierable to any one using the chat client ] .. those functions are commonly inbedded with network software. Almost any client - server application has features on the server allowing it to controle the client. The MSN messenger is no exception in that.

That said, which option in MSN are you specifically refering to as being spyware ? And is that in any way unique to the MSN messenger client or is that a general downside of sending you informatpion in plain text over a network. If you still would know of any spyware in the MSN client. . please elaborate more on what excactly that should be. . and some packet sniffer logs or things like that would be more then welcome. . .

no it does ***NOT*** work. as of last night, any spyware/adware-less version of MSN Messenger has STOPPED working

It still does work [ older versions of MSN client software ]. They are just being blocked by the server.. just as a Win2K domain controler can block prior Windows versions from getting domain access to it. But that doesn't mean the client is malfunctioning or has stoped working at that point.