Dune: The Machine Crusade Reviews

Mahdi

I thought machine crusade was alright, i prefered b.j. ,and i prefered the prequels more than that it seems that they are getting worse as they go on. I just hope they can do a better job with the final one. At first when i saw it on the shelf i was pleased to see how large it was, but i found it dragged on, [hide]and whats with killing all the cast. It maybe so they can set up some new characters, i was getting a bit bored of some of them, but eramus is still good though.[/hide]

• 4 weeks later...

I never interviewed anyone. Inoculator9 did the most recent interviews.

Over my break I finished Machine Crusade. Much to my disapointment.

Like most people have said, killing off characters to me was sad.

Names of killed and survived spoilers

[hide]Only Omnius, Atreides and agameddeon remain as main characters. Sooo they killed off iblis, harkonnen, venport, normas mother, desert guy and many others. I thought they were actually going somewheres with Zon noret only to have him killed for no reason (along with the 3 other characters)[/hide]

I found some deaths of characters unessesary and made me think that reading about them beforehand was a waste of time.

The love/romantic scenes were horrible so I skipped/skimmed over those chapters.

I sadly could predict at the very beginning of a chapter the ending of it.

spoiler

[hide] when Atreides girlfriends' husband and boys go out to sea, I immediatly knew they would be attacked by eels and the husband would die, possibly children too. They stole thier own idea from the house series.[/hide]

The worst part of this book is that you in no way need to read Butlerian Jihad which makes me feel that I completely wasted 40 bucks on it (Jihad book).

If Battle of Corrin does not require you to read the previous two books then I will be dissapointed.

Franks books required you to read the previous books for you to understand them. (I tried reading Heretics before GEOD and was completely lost... well I was lost anyway but more so before reading GEOD.)

The first 1/2 of Machine Crusade was bland and just repeated everything said in Butlerian Jihad. The second 1/2 was actually bearable except where they kill off every character in the book. Sad I can not remember many of the characters names, maybe it is becuase they were all killed off.

The best thing about Machine Crusade was the little interludes between some chapters that explained how much time has passed by.

Sometimes I think I will have to read all of the original books immediatly after reading the new Jihad books as they are poison. (thus forgetting everything I have read in the Jihad books.)

• 2 weeks later...

I got the book a couple weeks ago but only got around to reading it yesterday and im finished now.

[hide]

The machine crusades is reletivly disapointing, The story just really dosnt go anywhere.

The only major thing was the Cymecks fighting on their own, and the folding space.

Nearly every major character died, the writing was rather lame as was the plot.

The virus that was deliverd should have been taken advantage of insted it was ignored.

They could have done alot more with Jool Noret and Serut insted they just killed them off, same with hectate who could have been very usefull.

It practicly finished where it started, but it killed people and the plot worsened.

Out of ten I give it a...

[/hide]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I finished quite quickly (for a book its size) again it have teh non-depth feeling (with respect teh the original 6).

It did feel just like a drawn out book about not alot. I id prefer BJ to it and hoping the Corrin book (due out later this year) draws it all together. Well they got to kill off Erasmus yet (have a feeling he isn't going to go down with out some more carnage)

The bit I did find funny in MC was when Erasmus was decribing "love making" to his adopted son...  My lass creased herself at it and she dont read teh dune books

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to finishing the book. I'd been trying to read on it whenever I could. I'd had it since Christmas, but I've usually just been going from home to work to bed. Anyway...

The last 100 pages or so were outstanding. I had a lot of trouble putting it down at this point. All the characters were great this time around. I'm finally glad Iblis Ginjo died. He was really getting on my nerves, and I actually liked him in TBJ. It's amazing what a writer can do to change your perception of a character.

Best scene: Zufa Cenva killing Hecate along with herself and Aurelius Venport. That was just very well written.

Worst death: Xavier Harkonnen. I'm glad Ginjo is gone... but I think Xavier could have killed him in some other way and remained alive.

This was a really great book, and I'm looking forward to the bridge story and then The Battle of Corrin... where I hope we finally get to see the demise of Erasmus and Omnius.

hi first time i post i hope i got the spoilers hidden...

the first half i thought was quite good, but the second quite disappointed me! the carachters hardly have any depth and are only sticking to their habit, no way to change their mind! ('xcept for zufa but at that point she couldnt do anything different)

btw, zufa was my fave and then she just get dumped IMO and left pretty useless [hide] and i thought her aurelius-hecate-self destruction precipitous at least!!! she could have killed her enemy at any time, and maybe even face something like her daughter did... [/hide]i could never expect anything so silly. >:(

then i think there are some loose threads that are not being picked up for the mo...ie what about those spheres omnius launched through the universe in BJ?  ???

and though im much for girl power,[hide] what comes of the harkonnen if xavier has left no male heir?[/hide] dont know if thats a spoiler, anyway...

and selim looked like a deluded man in the end to me.

alas.

im waiting for battle of corrin, but im re reading the original saga in the meantime, its sooooo! different!!!  :D

ah! i was forgetting...maybe im a prick, but i dont think it need a genius to know that its pax galacticA and not galacticUS!!! when you write a book you should check the words you use, stick to galach if you re not keen on latin!!!