Ten Commandments

Any publicity is good publicity.

(but no news is good news)

And more converts = more $ and power. :D

To me this whole ten commandments thing is a circus. Basicly to take up more air time so their is less for the american soldier killings in Iraq. Which is more important than whether a peice of rock shoudl stay inside a building.

And Moore paid for it so maybe it should go into his own house.

Odd how they pick something up, and stick to it for a long time(or much publicity over a short time) and then find something better to show on the news and thus drop the previous.(much like CNN)

Ten Commandements are the first law, which is based on higher principle. Ancient eras were specifical by law systems based on leaders. Law was the word of king, the deity. But Commandements, that was first, which was over any human, something, what is needed to accept without arguing about it. On this system is based law system of not only USA, but also whole western civilisation. It is irrelevant, what they contain, their historical value is too great to be just banished as "something reactionally religious". It's like banishing use of fire, because someone does not believe in Pyros...

Western civilization is based on a number of precursors to our modern law, even that of Egyptians, Bablyonians and Greeks.

However I do admit the Ten C's played an influential role in the development of our laws. This however does not negate the fact that our nation has Freedom of Conscience as one of its primary values, and Freedom of Conscience forbids the government from endorsing any religious viewpoint.

Now if one wants to display the Ten C's, merely for sake of historical presentation that's fine. The Supreme Court does that in fact, showing moses holding the ten commandments standing alongside other leading legal figures in history to demonstrate the evolution of law.

Moore is not doing that though, Moore is by his own admittance displaying the monument for purely religious purposes.

As when we have statues of Napoleon with sword or Lenin with hand scythe, we should have also Moses with Law. Pure sign of history, showing great men and their great deeds.

If you ask me I think Moore my be doing it partially as some sort of theatrical stunt, one he could use when running for office. The gimmick could be something like "The Ten Commandments Judge" or "Vote Moore: He stood up for God."

That's barely making sense Caid, perhaps you could mention why?

Honoring historical events which formed our civilisation. We should thank our predecessors for it, don't you think? Especially in country like USA I can't understand such djihads. Country, where a whole mountain was changed to a monument...

Secularisation of state by sacrificing all historical things, which are related to a religion? That's antitheism. We can't even invite Pope without some mess now. This "secular" government is pushing us to catacombs, where is that freedom?

Prove that the Ten Commandments are part of our legislative history. And before you say that our law is based on the english common law system, the english common law system was founded and practiced 2 centuries (fifth century) before christianity entered the picture (seventh century).

Also, look at the commandments. The only ones similar to our law system is do not steal and do not murder. Way too general to be attributed to a single provider.

I've already explained the fact, that Tora was a first law, which was over ruler's word. Very important change in history, see how jewish historians were blaming their lords when they've broken it. That you wouldn't see in no other ancient chronicle. But to be sure, it was a state law as we know it only for Erec Israel.

Christians were making new laws based on them, even in Roman Empire (which was christian about 100 years before english states, if we can call celtic tribes as "states"). But as middle ages were a deep feudalism, trend of law as a primary principle of state vanished. State was Hobbes-like, centralised around mighty ruler. Then Cromwell, Jefferson and French reinvented it.