decline of dune

TMA_1

have any of you noticed that there is a decline in the amount of duniverse posters? Also many of the oldtime posters have seem to have gone. Now everybody who posts here are generally the same couple dozen folks. Why do you guys think this is so?

I have heard of a few of these people outside of fed2k and they seemed to have migrated to other dune sites. I just think it is a shame. Of course General (and whne prp was made in place of most of General threads) section has always been most popular outside the gaming threads. It just seems that there is a decline in avid dune fans here on fed2k. Is there any way to revamp all of it? I remember there was similar decline a few months back but it rebounded, I am just worried about it is all.

Also it seems that prp has taken up the majority of posters to the point that some dont even post in other threads, and stick strictly to prp or general. Does anybody see this as kinda a shame?

I dont know, just have been seeing this happen for awhile, what do you guys think?

Yes I noticed that some people stick to only PRP board, which is sad. (they were good posters in other boards) I do remember dune's last lag a couple months ago.

Remedies:

1. Everyone read the dune books, watch dune movie/minis' and play dune games.

2. Having the Dunesday event.

3. Dune stuff. :-

4. New Dune games, being developed here (or close to) FED2k, like Sardaukar 2k, and like Dune Jihad (whenever that gets revived)

And I will hopefully in less than a week be submitting new FHD (mini) avatars. Already have 80 done, of which 10-20 are good. (same ratio as usual.)

People going to other dune sites? (and not coming back) ??? That is also sad.

the way it is going now, I dont blame them. it is just funny that some people will stick to a politics and religion thread on a dune oriented website.lol

I am thankful I was able to help out with the lag a bit when I was moderator, really it was many people. it just needed to be kick started, oh well.

I think I will orient myself here for a bit and see if I can up the posts, I want to stay here for dune discussion.

Us older poster remember the days when this site really was a Dune site rather than a Battleground for Politics and Religion.

So another Dunesday is on the cards then.

So I suggest we get together a group of big Dune fans and start to organise things.

I suggest Andrew, Vanguard, Me (of course) and that TMA bloke whoever he is.

I first found this site when searching for some stuff about E:BFD. Then I sticked around for the whole Dune universe (hey, you can combine those two into Duniverse, that sounds fun! Wait a minute...;)). I've read all the books at least twice. Played the games, watched the movies/series more than once. Just the last two days I've nearly visited PRP and General sollely. But I had my reason. I also enjoy Fanfiction. AND I allways look in Duniverse when something new is posted. I just don't reply. I am sorry for that :)

Yes Dunesday would be nice. While cutting grass(my job) I thought of a new topic I would have started.

Dune Sightings :

This would be sightings of dune in everday life, news etc. It is kinda like all your base are belong to us! except with dune stuff. Like pics from the minis/ movie in other pics. It could be fun!

Kinda like:

http://www.thetoque.net/082801/fremen.htm

maybe?

Ok, thanks to Gob I ahve recovered all my e-mail addresses fromt he old server, so if you guys want I can put you n contact with Deidril from Dune Generations, Ryan from Frank Herberts Dune and Children of Dune, Jim McNelly, son of Willis E. McNelly (who also knew Frank Herbert and had influence in the Dune books, specifically in teh character of Paul), a guy whose almost finished a Dune D&D game (last I ehard it was in beta), and maybe a few other people from Lynch's dune and such (suggestion: Try to arangae a chat with both Dune and CoD sfx guys and Lynchs Dune sfx guys together).

Plus, theres anderson and herbert, although I belevie Andersons actual e-mail address was lost to me in the infamous hotmail fiasco which ruined our trivia contest.

Also, a very slim chance of John harrisons e-mail. Well, it for certain is his, just maybe the wrong his.

Note: I wouldn't be giving these address to you, I'd be e-mailing them on behalf of you and askign them if they are interested, to deal with you from now on. Except the Harrison and Anderson/herbert ones, they are publicly found.

Plus, theres anderson and herbert, although I belevie Andersons actual e-mail address was lost to me in the infamous hotmail fiasco which ruined our trivia contest.

Hey I won that contest! Due to the fact I didn't know your hotmail and sent it to your other account. ;D Heh...like you said it kinda ruined the contest.

And yep, I still do look at this board, I just don't have anything to post.

Us older poster remember the days when this site really was a Dune site rather than a Battleground for Politics and Religion.

Really? Some even older members would argue that they remember this site when it was neither.

the Duniverse board is mostly dead but the truth is, the main reason for that is because the oldtime "Duniverse" posters have no respect for what is the largest draw to fed2k - the Emperor Board. the majority of fed2k members are here because of Emperor - yet the Duniverse posters shun Emperor players and treat them like crap

basically, you guys believe that anyone who has not memorized most of the Dune books verbatim is not a "true Dune fan" and hence you make them feel very unwelcome and uninterested in bothering to interact with you on the Duniverse board

what i'm saying here is evidenced by the reality that despite the fact that Emperor is by far the most popular board on this site, there is only one Emperor player on the Landraad, and if i may be quite frank - he's not even a good one

the decline of Dune on this site is owed largely to the fact that the Dune clique here acts in a very snobby & elitist way towards anyone who doesn't treat the Dune books like the Bible

note: i'm not trying to flame you guys here, i'm just answering the question as honestly as i can

i was one to stand up against the Politics board and have talked to Gob about it at length because it greatly diminshes the Dune theme of this site. a Politics board is irrelevant to this site, has nothing at all to do with Dune. it is stupid to have one here in my opinion. so the decline of Dune is also partly Gob's fault for not sticking to the roots of this site

::)

the Duniverse board is mostly dead but the truth is, the main reason for that is because the oldtime "Duniverse" posters have no respect for what is the largest draw to fed2k - the Emperor Board. the majority of fed2k members are here because of Emperor - yet the Duniverse posters shun Emperor players and treat them like crap

This is true to certain extent most Emperor players do not realize that 1.) the game really has nothing to do with books in terms of the storyline, characters etc. 2.) read number one again. 3.) read number one again just make sure you understand.

basically, you guys believe that anyone who has not memorized most of the Dune books verbatim is not a "true Dune fan" and hence you make them feel very unwelcome and uninterested in bothering to interact with you on the Duniverse board

Correct they are not "true Dune fans". I do not make them feel unwelcomed I offer understanding but my patience is small when you continue to not use the "search function" and make the same threads about the same subjects over and over again.

what i'm saying here is evidenced by the reality that despite the fact that Emperor is by far the most popular board on this site, there is only one Emperor player on the Landraad, and if i may be quite frank - he's not even a good one.

Yes the "Emperor board" is a popular forum but just because the Landraad members do play "openly" does mean they "do not play Emperor". And for the record playing any of the games was never a reason a person was admitted into the Landsraad.

the decline of Dune on this site is owed largely to the fact that the Dune clique here acts in a very snobby & elitist way towards anyone who doesn't treat the Dune books like the Bible

Start reading the books more and you will have better treatment crumb! Remember Nav we are the Dune clique if we want to be snobby and elist so what... up yours.

note: i'm not trying to flame you guys here, i'm just answering the question as honestly as i can

Honest my arse I know a flame when I see one.

i was one to stand up against the Politics board and have talked to Gob about it at length because it greatly diminshes the Dune theme of this site. a Politics board is irrelevant to this site, has nothing at all to do with Dune. it is stupid to have one here in my opinion. so the decline of Dune is also partly Gob's fault for not sticking to the roots of this site

Actually Dune is full of politics but if you read the books more you would understand. I personally think TMA (along with the other guys) handles the Duniverse board very well. When something is of interest to myself I post on the Duniverse board.

Navaros the site can be whatever I want it to be. If one day I decide to completely shutdown what is here now and turn this into a site about exotic hats from Canada thats my prerogative.

Don't start telling me what the site should be about or why it isn't true enough to Dune. I haven't even read all the Dune books so the whole attraction to Dune has never been huge for me anyhow, that was one of the reasons Mahdi become part of the staff. You can't talk about Dune forever and since there aren't any new Dune games coming out, which is the entire reason I created the site in the first place, I wanted to branch the site off into other areas that interest me. If you don't like it you can either deal with the way things are or start your own site.

"so the decline of Dune is also partly Gob's fault for not sticking to the roots of this site "

Yes, the roots of the First Ever Dune 2k site are obviously Emperor... ?!

And whatever happened to the 'Get Mahdi a new hat' objective?

"a Politics board is irrelevant to this site, has nothing at all to do with Dune."

One of the most poignant nuggests I've heard all month.

"the Duniverse board is mostly dead but the truth is, the main reason for that is because the oldtime "Duniverse" posters have no respect for what is the largest draw to fed2k - the Emperor Board."

More or less as q72 says: being any good at Emperor has no bearing whatsoever on your ability to contribute to the Duniverse. An emperor player gains nothing by being an emperor player within Duniverse - why should they, since Emperor is hardly a source on the Duniverse? They are treated the same as anyone else, and given no preferential treatment. However, if someone starts trying to support their ideas about dune from the games, then they will bee looked down upon, since the games are not 'canon' sources of dune, just as if someone tried to back up their ideas with evidence from a fanfic someone made - it is not valid evidence.

And, bluntly put, the Emperor boards probably have a greater concentration of spam and other rubbish (until it gets ciphoned off) than any other board. This supports an opinion that, overall, those playing Emperor do not do so out of the same sort of quasi-academic ethos which is really the main focus of Dune and the Duniverse boards.