Hatred

is hatred just extreme anger? is it a hard heart that will not change an opinion? I honestly think that it is the latter of what I just said. Emotions will run their course and people will change to and fro with their opinions towards otehrs, but I believe true hatred comes from the idea of hardness at heart. I have seen a lot of it in my life, and I honestly cant do it. I get emotional and tell somebody how I feel, i may even continue to jab somebody, but in the end if the person changed and was nice, I wouldnt keep a grudge

What makes a person so bitter as to hate? What makes a person make that final step towards the abyss of stagnation? It just seems so weird that somebody can keep a feeling against somebody for so long that they will never forgive it. All of this stuff has just hit me. I have been called thin skinned, ignorant, foolish, and you know it may make sense, but nobody truly knows what kind of person I am. Maybe I have had the same problem. I want to apologize to any of you who I begrudged. It really is a sick thing to do.

what do you guys think is the root of hatred? what are the characteristics of it and why do people succumb to it? I dont want any arguments on this thread or any hurtful or blatantly mean statements. I just want to know all of the opinions you guys have on this. And like I said before, there sould be no statements made that are said to create strife or to set automatic opposition to what you believe. no drama crap.lol

hmm, I dont know, but it does sound right. very poetic as well.

Think it could be more though? I mean is the lack of beauty everything that drives a human to grow inflexable and hateful?

also, do you guys think everybody has the potential to hate? or do you think it is something reserved for only a certain type of person? Do you think it is related to anger or is it some completely different emotion and mindset?

That's a nonsense, Egeides. Slovak language has a better word for hatred, "nenavist". Core is based on oppositum of something translatable like "to accept". Hatred isn't feeling based on lack of things causing love, it is very unacceptance, intolerant view. Something based on "antibeauty", simply said.

Hate, in my eyes, is either abhorrence of something or dislike towards someone who you may wish to do harm to. The dislike is caused by harm towards yourself mostly, or harm towards other people/things you hold dear. The abhorrence is linked to intolerance.

I get the same thing, TMA. I can't hold grudges for more than a few hours.

With two exceptions. I'm not so sure about hate being purely anger; as other emotions bring it up as well. Disgust, revenge, both of these can cause or be caused by hate. In my case both. The two exceptions mentioned above are both hated, loathed, whatever. The former used to bully me in school, before moving on to the rest of my family. The latter is merely a friend of my youngest sister.

They were hated, and forgiven and hated and forgiven but it happened so often that eventually I must have snapped. Revenge now motivates my hate against the bully. I take every sensible oppertunity I can to repay him for years of misery.

The other one... I'm not so sure of. She's never said a word to me. She never speaks to anyone apart from her friends and father. She just goes "Mmf." With her finger in her mouth and her eyes averted. I'd go into further detail but it would just annoy me.

I abhor her. Being in the same room as her turns my stomach. I loath her presence, her looks, her voice (such as it is), her actions, everything. Breathing the air that she breaths makes me nautious.

But why? There was no anger here in the beginning. Just disgust and revulsion. And this developed into hate.

I don't think hate comes from anger, anger is too strong to allow for hate. Hate can make you angry, but anger doesn't make you hate. It has to be something more.

Caid: Anti-beauty comes out of non-beauty pushed at its extreme. Like the chaos that is in fact absence of order. Or like darkness being the absence of light. If you consider chaos as anti-order and darkness as anti-light, it doesn't change the fact that they are absence of order and light. Reference: Plotinus, first Enneade (which I read... 20 pages hehe).

TMA: I think that the lack of perceiving beauty is the point. Here, beauty can be seen into correct order, moral, or anything else. And you will act correspondingly. You may show someone a beautiful thing, it doesn't mean he's gonna perceive all its richness.

This may bring someone to think that someone that isn't enlightened enough wont be able to follow God since he wont see him or something. Exactly what the Tibetan "Book of the Dead" (or something like that) is saying: one cannot continue with the Light if they aren't enlightened enough. Or if you take the Bible, you see that there is a certain emphasis on "opening your heart", thus perceiving the beauty/love.

Hypothesis:

Beauty is energy for love, beauty being the power source, love being the force (like in physics).

Not sure. With beauty we can better use the principle of dualism. There is "beauty", creating feels of adoration and "antibeauty", causing disgust, fear or vengeance. There is still neutral absence of beauty, which causes no reaction. Being impressionless, it doesn't mean you cause hate in other one.

IMHO

I think this topic is being viewed as a black and white topic. An oversimplification if you will. In past personal experiences I can remember myself feeling extreme anger that I viewed as hatred. I can also recall others where I felt sympathy or even a casual indifference. looking back with hind sight the situations I am recalling were remarkably similar. The only difference I can recall, is my state of mind at the time. I think your state of mind can alter your perception of any situation and thereby make you feel completely different.

The question I am faced with is...is there a way for me to control my perception? And if so, can I than control my feelings? I don't have an answer as of yet. If someone out there knows , please stop reading and start responding.

I think the whole idea of the paradigm of hatred is the idea of it being completely on one side of the spectrum. That is my opinion at least. I agree with dust as well that hate has nothing to do with anger, that it is something completely different, that anger is a seperate part of a fued against another person. I think hatred is the inflexability of forgiveness, as well as the absolute hardening of the heart. If there can be no change in a persons heart, then there can be no redemption or love.

Caid, what would you answer to this parallel showing that darkness = absence of light versus ugliness = absence of beauty? Why aren't they similar in your opinion? Same with chaos being the absence of order.

To reiterate my point, I bring the idea that love/hatred is human's reaction to perception of beauty/ugliness.

About the distinction between hatred and angriness, I think that in the case of hatred, the feeling it seems oriented towards an object (as love is oriented towards some object). In the case of being angry, it may be a non-oriented state of mind, a bit like a potential, un-oriented energy (in physics: energy I think. While hatred/love = a force, with a vector).

There are plenty of things about which you can't say they are ugly, worth of erasement, but also they do no pleasure for your eyes. Destruction isn't lack of creation. For example white wall. I can't say how nice it is. When I'll use it for a gun test, it will be damaged, it becomes ugly. When I'll take a spray and paint it, it is ornamented, becomes beautiful.

Hatred is a combination of alot of emotions, and has been a part of the human situation since the stone age. To me hatred is un definable, it has many terms but to fully understand it you have to learn to reflect on reflections of hatred. Its really deep and goes beyond anger, thats my opinion.