Star Wars Episode I and II

Anakin

Well George Lucas must be doing something right because all of his movies are huge commercial successes. We are talking Star Wars here and not high art. For all of the flaws of the Star Wars prequel movies they are still very entertaining and that's why I watch them.

I think the main problem with a lot of people is they try to compare them to the originals.

When you heard they were making prequels, were you really expecting BETTER than the originals? Hell no, there's no way they could pull that off.

Now that CGI-everything is avaliable, they couldn't make a movie without it. If they used models the whole movie, instead you guys would be complaining "the graphics suck" ..

Instead of comparing them to original trilogy, compare them to other movies. They're good.

It's not that we're comparing them to the originals, so much as we're comparing them to half-decent movies.

I'm trying to compare them to other movies, but the only conclusion I can come up with is that the prequels are some of the worse movies I've seen in a long time. What would you have me compare it to? At least Ishtar was funny, in a pathetic sort of way.

And up until CGI became the great crutch of filmmakers, I don't ever recall complaining about graphics.

i was comparing Episode II to other movies

Lucas was trying to imitate Gladiator, Robocop, and a whole pantheon of other movies in Episode II - and he failed miserably. any of the movies which Lucas tries to imitate are a million times better than Episode II

about the guy who said Darth Maul sucks: the way they implemented the character sucked, but he had *a lot* of potential. the problem with Darth Maul was that he was (quoting from a professional critic here) "criminally under-used". he should have had at least 45 minutes of screen time. Darth Maul *IS* Episode I. he is the only interesting thing about it, other than Palpatine. but Lucas screwed it up by only giving him a 30 second fight and a 3 minute-ish fight.

not to mention, his death was utterly absurd. how can someone with lightning-fast reflexes like Maul stand idle for several seconds while his enemy attacks and kills him? that is nothing short of ludicrous! it is in this that we see the first evidence of Lucas going senile. by the time he made the title for Episode II - all doubt of his senility had been removed and the whole Episode II movie had therefore reflected that senility from start to finish whereas Episode I had hints of his former greatness because he was still sane for parts of it's making.

realistically, Maul would kill all the Jedi Council single-handedly. he is the coolest Star Wars character ever and the way they botched his use is simply tragic.

What's even more depressing than the way Darth Maul dies is that Obiwan has apparently lost all of his fighting ability when fighting Count Dooku. Here we have an old man who is no where near as challenging as Maul was and Obiwan is beaten much more quickly. I think a lot of people were expecting a fight scene on par at least with the one from episode 1. Instead we get 2 guys basically standing in place whirling their light sabres over their heads for the most part.

What's even more depressing than the way Darth Maul dies is that Obiwan has apparently lost all of his fighting ability when fighting Count Dooku. Here we have an old man who is no where near as challenging as Maul was and Obiwan is beaten much more quickly. I think a lot of people were expecting a fight scene on par at least with the one from episode 1. Instead we get 2 guys basically standing in place whirling their light sabres over their heads for the most part.

ah nah i read the book and they explained this. Obi-wan fights very fast but his style is mostly used against enemies with laser weapons. The style is not effective vs. count dooku's style who's style is made for lightsaber battles. He uses short moves that cost him little energy. Get the book, it will explain it to you

no, he's dead. if not from the lightsaber, then from the fall... besides if they found him they would've made double sure of him. and last but not least, there are only 2 sith. A master, and an apprentice. So darth maul has been replaced by dooku.

Mace said there are at least two Siths. Don't forget, Siths were a race, which was in a total war with Jedi Order. Dooku himself wasn't a Sith, he was just a puny fallen Jedi, like what will become Anakin, when he'll kill him ::)

Mace said there are at least two Siths. Don't forget, Siths were a race, which was in a total war with Jedi Order. Dooku himself wasn't a Sith, he was just a puny fallen Jedi, like what will become Anakin, when he'll kill him ::)

True, sith were a race. But i don't think that palpatine is a sith either then. So in the times of star wars, sith is probably just an order. Once there were many sith. But they killed each other so from that day on, there were always 2 siths. And i think dooku can be called a sith. Luke also had two choices, die or kill darth vader and take his place.

Number of Sith is unknown, because they were thought to be extinct. Lucas leaves it open, we'll see why in EIII (I hope...). Dooku himself was talking about Palpatine as "Dark lord of Sith". But everyone else said about Dooku just things like "fallen".

No no no. Sith is an order. It was never a race. It is true that a whole race (I forgot it's name) served the Sithlords. The Sith works basically like this: One master, one student. The student teaches what he/she can from the master, and when the student is finished with learning, the master is disregarded (killed, I don't remember exactly). The student takes the rank of master, and finds another student. There is never more than two. If I am correct, Darth Bane, who lived approximately 3000-4000 before A New Hope (episode 4) invented this system. It is true that more accolytes followed one master. It is also said that Palpatine is a reincarnation of Darth Bane.

It is true that the Sith was in war with the Old Republic, but the Sith themselves were only masters of, as I said above, a race that followed them. It is also true that the Sith learned this race to build ships and use weapons.

Palpatine is also known as Darth Sidious. Of course, Lucas could make a big twist in the story and say that Palpatine is not Sidious (because if you look at the movies more carefully, you never see any connection/proof of it). But I don't think so.

Palpatine is Sidious. He can "hide"/"cloak" his dark powers, so that no jedi can detect him. At least, I was told that.

Well I liked them both. I only saw each of them once and don't remember a ton about them so I'll hold off on commenting further, but I did enjoy them. Except for Jar-jar. The movie redeems itself, buy Jar-jar was a pompous mistake. Jar-jar can suck my Ass-ass.

No no no. Sith is an order. It was never a race. It is true that a whole race (I forgot it's name) served the Sithlords. The Sith works basically like this: One master, one student. The student teaches what he/she can from the master, and when the student is finished with learning, the master is disregarded (killed, I don't remember exactly). The student takes the rank of master, and finds another student. There is never more than two. If I am correct, Darth Bane, who lived approximately 3000-4000 before A New Hope (episode 4) invented this system. It is true that more accolytes followed one master. It is also said that Palpatine is a reincarnation of Darth Bane.

It is true that the Sith was in war with the Old Republic, but the Sith themselves were only masters of, as I said above, a race that followed them. It is also true that the Sith learned this race to build ships and use weapons.

Palpatine is also known as Darth Sidious. Of course, Lucas could make a big twist in the story and say that Palpatine is not Sidious (because if you look at the movies more carefully, you never see any connection/proof of it). But I don't think so.

Palpatine is Sidious. He can "hide"/"cloak" his dark powers, so that no jedi can detect him. At least, I was told that.

According to Behind the Magic, Siths were a race. "Order of Sith Lords" are their rulers. Siths have their lords, Palpatine (or Darth Sidious, no matter how we call him) is one of them, probably one of the most powerful. No one else was so powerful then he to crush Jedi order. But to be sure, even the Sith Lord cannot be considered as main enemy. Just another hand of Dark Side of Force...

• 2 weeks later...