Part One: The Beginning

ordos45

(Pho is my penname on fanfiction.net, I haven't posted this there yet.)

By: Pho

Chapter One: It Begins

Rating: PG-13

Disclaimer: Don't own Star Trek of any series, just using them for a story I'm writing. Don't own B5 quote either.

"Every race has a legend, of a time when light and darkness battled in the heavans, and the darkness was banished from this realm."-G'Kar, in Legend of the Rangers.

Time: 1800 hours local.

Date: January 1, 2377

"...and it is with that we welcome the ambassador of the Kivian to Earth. We have great hopes that this will be the beginning of a lasting peace between the United Federation of Planets and the Kivian."

Clapping began quickly, but soon the light and quick clapping became a thunderous roar of applause. The thousands of attendees at the banquet were all quite earnest in their enthusiasm.

They were enthusiastic because the Kivian had hidden themselves during every crisis to date, until the last one. Thousands of worlds had been struck by the Teal Death, a horrendous plague that had a one hundred percent mortality rate and one hundred percent contagion rate.

One colony world of ten million was dying when the first ship appeared in their skies. It had seemed an elegant squid in appearance, nearly forty kilometers in length. The Kivian descended from their ship with a cure, and thus had enamoured themselves with the entirety of the Alpha Quadrant.

The Kivian ambassador ascended to the podium, his feet not seeming to touch the ground, as if he was gliding across the floor and up the stairs. He pulled back his hood from his cloak to reveal a golden face.

"My friends...I believe this is an auspicious event in the history of the Alpha Quadrant. For millenia, we Kivian have hidden ourselves beneath our cloaking devices, but now we are establishing diplomatic ties to your younger races.

"The Teal Death was not just a threat to all of your worlds, it was a threat to our worlds as well. We had overcome the disease over one millenium ago...that was why we had the cure. We knew the pain it caused, its lethality, and that is why we had to intervene.

"Standing here today, I'm glad we did. I can't even think about the possible deaths of hundreds of billions from that horrible disease.

"I know many of you expected my speech to be long, boring, droning, and taking several hours to complete...so I'll just stop now to save you from all that. Let us just enjoy the company of others in this room, and celebrate this joyous day!"

Another wave of clapping began at the end of the ambassador's speech. Half because they thought he had spoken well, the other half because they were happy to see a politician that didn't give speeches lasting more than a few minutes.

Time: 0010 hours local.

Date: January 2, 2377

"Tell me Ambassador Dorelli," said Admiral Jane Smith, head of Starfleet Intelligence," The Teal Death wasn't natural, was it? After all, it's doubtful it would pop up on your worlds millenia ago, and then everyone else's later...unless it was planted."

"I'll admit it is true," said the Kivian ambassor," In fact it is part of why I'm here. We've fought another race, for five millenia now...they've used many insidious tactics, including what you call the Teal Death."

"Why weren't we informed before," demanded Admiral Smith, her eyes narrowing dangerously.

"There was no need at first," said the Kivian softly," but things have been set in motion. Plans we can't hope to stop alone."

"What plans," Admiral Smith asked, her voice now carrying an icy edge.

"Your people have met the Q, God-like in their powers," said the ambassador," that is what our enemies hope to become, Gods. They hope for Ascension."

"That's ridiculous," snorted the Admiral," utterly insane."

"Insane yes, but true. We don't believe they can do it easily, but their biological sciences are quite advanced, as are their weapons."

"Are you implying something Ambassador Dorelli?"

"Invasion," he said simply," you think the Borg are a threat, but they are nothing compared to the dangers ahead. Already the Kivian Defense Forces have engaged a dozen light cruisers of our enemy that was going to wipe out a Cardassian outpost."

"This is very disturbing, what information can you give us to help prepare Ambassador Dorelli?"

"Only the warning I've given, and a suggestion you put together an alliance," said the Kivian.

With that, he turned around, his cloak swishing about him, and began to walk for the door.

"You haven't been dismissed ambassador," said Admiral Smith sharply.

"Go ahead and try to stop me," he said calmly, still walking for the door.

Smith nodded and her two guards brought their phaser rifles to bear on the Kivian. He let out a chuckle of amusement, and both of the guards flew against the wall with a heavy thud. Then the door whooshed open, and walked out.

Time: 0100 hours local.

"The young ones have been warned High Priest," said Nortal Dorelli calmly.

"Good my old friend," said the voice on the other end of the connection," I recieved reports from the Defense Forces a few minutes ago, it is becoming harder and harder to contain the enemy. It is only a matter of time before they break the barrier of their prison sub-reality and can release all their fleets at one time."

"Is there any way to strengthen the barrier," asked Nortal urgently.

"No," replied the High Priest, sorrow lacing his voice," When the barrier fails completely, it will have failed. We can only pray that these younger races will be ready."

"Indeed High Priest...and if they are not prepared for this when it does come?"

"Then they will die."

Chapter Two: Spinning the Web

Disclaimer: Don't own Star Trek of any series, just using them for a story I'm writing.

Time: 1000 hours

Normally the gentle background hum of the warp drive would have comforted Captain Allen Durevco, but this was not a normal situation. He was speaking to the legendary Admiral Janeway, and the situation seemed dire.

"Captain, understand it isn't because I did not think you capable, but Captain Picard was my first choice to lead any fleet we'd put together to fight on the front lines of a war. However, the rest of the Admiralty didn't agree...and your record during the Dominion War is impressive."

"I understand Admiral," replied Captain Durevco, trying not to allow his nervousness to show.

"In the event this enemy of the Kivian I told you of shows up, you will be in charge of the Federation Offensive Fleet, while Captain Picard will be in command of our Defensive Fleet."

"I understand Admiral, does this mean we're to reroute and not test the Entara Class in war games?"

"No," said Janeway steely," We need to make sure the Entara Class is suitable to become a Federation warship. Go to the war games, you'll recieve more instructions after them."

"Aye aye Admiral."

The screen before Allen Durevco went blank and soon had the Federation emblem on it. He looked out to see the stars streak by, wondering what would happen next.

Time: 1300 hours local.

"...and that is all we know Senators," finished the Federation Envoy.

"Preposterous," snorted the Praetor," but we will vote to devote ourselves to an alliance should such a race attack."

Chuckling ran through the Senate Hall at the thought of an ancient and powerful race attacking out of nowhere. However it silenced as quickly as it had begun, for the sake of the vote.

"All in favor hit yes on your PADs," said the Praetor in a monotone voice, his feelings completely hidden under the professional mask of a politican.

The Praetor's eyes widened a hair as he stared at the results. It seemed his people were ready to defend the Quadrant if necessary.

The Praetor turned to face the Federation Envoy," Tell Starfleet the military alliance is accepted in the event of such a war. Then come back to us, and we will work out the finer details."

Time: 1350 hours local.

"This is an insult," roared Martok," and insult to our honor! You tell the Federation Council, and Starfleet that we would never whimper and retreat from glorious battle!"

A Federation Envoy, cowering in Ambassador Worf's shadow nodded timidly, and retreated from the chambers.

Time: 1905 hours

"USS Entara, this is the USS Sovereign, we are ready for war games exercises, weapons powered down to minimal strength."

"Acknowledged Sovereign, we're ready too."

The elegant Sovereign flipped on its back, firing phasers into the Entara's underbelly as it glided by. The ship rocked a bit, but not much.

"Put us into evasive manuevers," ordered Durevco," and then target them with pulse phasers."

"Target acquired," said his tactical officer, moments later.

"Fire," ordered Durevco coldly.

Dozens of tiny phaser blasts erupted from portions of the Entara's saucer section, peppering the Sovereign heavily enough to knock out its war game shields.

"Good job, keep it up people," said Durevco, eyes not leaving the viewscreen.

The Sovereign did a quick loop, quantum torpedos spewing from it as it came around. The pricks of purple light let off from them closed on the Entara quickly.

"Activate point defense lasers," said Durevco with dispassion.

One by one the pricks of light disappeared thanks to the point defense lasers. Another salvo from the Sovereign was also quickly dispatched.

"Finish it," ordered Durevco.

Dozens of tiny phaser blasts erupted once more, pounding the Sovereign in every area of the hull.

"Bam Captain, you're dead," Durevco said as they hailed the Sovereign.

"Quite true," said the Sovereign's Captain," At least we know the Entara Class is going to work out well enough."

"Indeed..." began Durevco as an alarm began blaring.

A dark ship, almost as dark as space appeared, having come out of warp. It was shaped almost like a common dagger, but had curves and grooves around the 'hilt'. Without warning, a pencil thin beam shot from its tip and rolled down the length of the Sovereign. In less than four seconds, the ship had been cut directly in two.

"Activate shields, go to evasive manuevers. Pepper that vessel with pulse phaser blasts, we need to know where their shields are weakest," bellowed Durevco as the ship lurched into motion around him.

The dagger craft persued them through their loops and twists, even as it was hit time after time from pulse phaser blasts. Ten minutes into the chase, its beam grazed the hull.

"Hull breach on decks seven and eight, sections five through twelve," commented one officer.

"Keep up the evasive and pulse phaser shots," ordered Durevco steadily.

He was a veteran. He wasn't about to let one unknown ship that had taken out one of Starfleet's best in seconds rattle him, and if he did, he wouldn't let his crew notice. A glance at the communications console told him what he feared, communications were jammed.

The chase went on for over an hour. Eventually the pulse phasers breached the enemy shields, leaving a small hole on its hull.

"Focus all pulse phasers and quantum torpedoes on that shield and hull breach," ordered Durevco, feeling hope for the first time in the battle.

The Entara swung arround suddenly, unleashing its lethal barrage of pulse phaser and quantum torpedo fire. Flames erupted across the side of the enemy ship, a sign of the chaos within, but still enemy fire lanced out.

The bridge suddenly became a cacophany of explosions, smoke, flames, and alarms. Durevco couldn't see well through the dense haze now present.

"Damage report," he yelled.

No one answered him. He focused on the viewscreen as well as he could, one last time. Then he saw it, it must have been huge, a squid-like ship coming out of warp, firing brilliant white beams at the dagger ship. That was the last thing he saw, before darkness took him.

Time: 2350 hours

He gazed down at the human laying below him. This man was the only survivor of the USS Entara, which had fought miraculously well against their enemy.

Yet, the man was in a coma. It would be up to him to get himself out of it, with perhaps a bit of aid from the Kivian High Priest.

Yahga entered the tortured landscape of the human's mind. Lightning danced from dark clouds, across a barren land of shadow.

"Captain Allen Durevco," said Yahga," I am here to help guide you home."

A/N: These are the first two chapters of Part One: The Beginning

Part Two will be entitled "War"

Part Three will be entitled "Ascension"

Chapter Three: Shadows of the Mind

Disclaimer: Don't own Star Trek of any series, just using them for a story I'm writing.

Time: 2350 hours

Sub-Location: Dreamscape of Captain Allen Durevco's tortured mind.

The wind blew fiercely, making it hard for Allen to stand. Yet despite the dark clouds, the lightning, the wind, and all the other parts of this strange place, he was focused on one thing. That thing was the entity before him.

"Who are you," he demanded, voice tinged with wonder and anger.

"Who are you," replied Yagha.

"Captain Allen Durevco of the Federation Starship Entara," he replied automatically without thinking about it.

"Unacceptable answer. Who are you," asked Yagha again in a clipped tone.

"None of your concern," said Durevco fiercely, looking around at the shattered landscape.

"Oh but it is," replied Yagha," you won't leave this place without knowing the answer."

"You're going to hold me here until I answer the question the way you want," asked Durevco through clinched teeth.

"No, you are going to hold yourself here," replied Yagha.

Rage surged through Allen Durevco as he regarded the...the...what was this race called again? An earsplitting growl of thunder belched in the dark skies, and about a hundred feet away there appeared a large human skeleton.

The skeleton was seven feet tall, wearing nothing but a shield on one arm, and its sword in the other hand. Spikes also poked out from the elbow joints of the skeleton. As he was about to study it further it let loose a roar that sounded like a damned soul, stuck in the City of Dis.

"Give me some help," asked Durevco to the entity beside him.

"You must fight this yourself," replied Yagha," I cannot aid you."

"Can't or won't," demanded Durevco as the skeleton lumbered forward.

"Both," replied Yagha.

"Some help you are."

The skeleton swung its sword at him, and he jumped back. It swung again, and he rolled, and it swung a second time, and again he rolled, and then it swung a third time. The third time the sword impacted on, and became firmly embedded in the dirt.

Durevco gripped the sword and pulled it from the ground. He slashed with it, only to feel vibrations as it connected on the skeleton's shield. He slashed again, only to sheer off an elbow blade.

He slashed three times in quick secession, the first taking off an arm, the second removing the legs, and the third decapitating the head. Without its head, the skeleton disolved to dust.

Without warning, blinding pain filled Durevco, forcing him to drop to his knees. Images began to flash before his eyes, and a cacophany of accompanying sounds filled his ears. After several minutes it subsided...but he still lay trembling.

Yagha walked over to him and gazed down at the shivering human. The remembrance was starting.

"You're a Kivian," said Durevco when he managed to push himself to his feet.

"Yes Captain I am," said Yagha.

"What are you doing here," he questioned.

"Helping you rediscover who you are," replied Yagha.

"You mean...that I'll come across challenges and complete them, and with each challenge I'll regain memory," asked Durevco, panting a bit and confused.

"Somewhat," replied Yagha cryptically.

"So what's next," asked Durevco, eager to regain his memories despite his fear.

"That is for you to decide," said Yagha.

"I don't control things here," replied Durevco, beginning to lose his temper.

"Are you sure," asked Yagha calmly.

"No...I mean yes!"

"Very well," said Yagha.

Another stiff breeze blew through, causing Durevco to stumble briefly. Another flash of lightning lit the sky, and an eery silence pervaded the area.

"Your enemy is invisible to you Captain," said Yagha,"That is all I can tell you."

"Great," muttered Durevco.

He fell forward, a blow to his back forcing him to his knees. His new sword clattered before him. Another blow fell across his back, nearly toppling him as he reached for his sword. Once it was in his grip he brought it around with as much force and speed as he could.

It impaled itself on what appeared to be thin air. Then a screech that sounded like a Dellvian fruit bat on fire filled the air. The sword dropped to the ground, its target vanquished.

Durevco felt a stab of pain that threw him to the ground on his stomach. More images flashed through his mind, their related sounds roaring through his ears.

"I see you've regained your ability to reason and cope with the unknown," said Yagha, from where he stood above the downed human.

"Yes..."

"Have you figured out where you are then," asked Yagha.

"I think," said Durevco with a frown," My own mind?"

"Eh close enough," said Yagha.

"Close enough," asked Durevco.

"Yes."

"Great, a Kivian who won't tell me anything directly," muttered Durevco under his breath.

It seemed as if days passed. Over these days Durevco found a canteen, filled it with water from a stream, and the stream disappeared promptly after. Eventually the canteen was only a quarter full, and he was thirsty, but that was when he saw her on the side of the beaten black path.

She was a young girl, probably only seven or eight, and coverred with bruises. She had brown wavy hair that reached to her shoulders, and pale blue eyes. Her lips were chapped also.

"Water," she croaked, a plea to work on compassion.

He thought for a minute or two, it was doubtful this girl would make it very far, even with water, where he could use it and keep going. However...it was the decent thing to do, wasn't it?

He unscrewed the canteen lid, and placed it against her lips. She gulped it down hungrily, leaving him without water. Then she too faded.

Out of nowhere Allen Durevco was thrown to the ground in pain once again, memories and sounds associated with them flashing through his mind, a symphony. Memories of an abused little girl exactly as the one he had given water just now, his sister. How he had always tried to protect her from their abusive father...how he had always gotten so full of righteous indignation when he saw her bruised. The memories came faster and faster now.

When it was done he looked up. He wasn't the least bit surprised to see Yagha standing above him.

"Compassion, righteous anger," said Yagha," two things which make sentients...sentient. Two things one cannot live without, and cannot escape. Even the Borg feel them at some level."

"What now," asked Durevco, feeling rather complete.

"Now you stand here, I must do this final task," replied Yagha tersely.

"Why?"

"Because while your memories and soul were fractured during what happened before you arrived in this place, your last memories lay trapped by another."

"Who?"

"An enemy..."

With that the Kivian became a blur of seemingly golden light he moved so fast. Another blur moved with him, almost unseeable, for its dark form blended in with the shattered dreamscape of his mind.

Within minutes however, a blinding flash illuminated the dreamscape, and sent Allen Durevco into a state of shock, the memories of his and the Entara's battle flooded into his mind. He did something very human then, he cried for all those lost.

"You've discovered who you are," said Yagha," All the memories, all the actions, all the thoughts that make you an individual are yours once again, united.

Durevco nodded as he blinked back the tears, regaining control of himself.

"Yet you almost instantly replace what you feel with a mask, a deception crafted by so many years of life. That in itself tells a great deal about you...that you will put your feelings behind what you know must be done."

The dreamscape began to clear up, light was breaking through the dark clouds. The lightning and wind gusts had stopped.

"We're done," said Yagha," you'll face the world soon enough."

Time: 2350 hours and one second.

Captain Allen Durevco opened his eyes suddenly, and then nearly fainted at what he saw. Four Kivian standing around a bed he was on, and the golden surfaces of the room shivering like a living being.

"Welcome back to the land of the living Captain," said Yagha with a bit of a smile.

"It's good to be back...I never caught your name," said Durevco, apologetically.

"High Priest Yagha," he said," Spiritual leader of the Kivian...and before you ask the inevitable, you have only been unconscious for one second after you were brought here...time has no meaning in the mind at war."

Captain Allen Durevco inwardly groaned over the loss of his crew and the Entara, the Sovereign and her crew, and over having been so rude to the spiritual leader of this enigmatic race.