The Death of Emperor (article by Dunlavy)

Dunlavy

The death of a great game is sad.  For a community as dedicated by this, losing a game's support by its creator and life-giver people, Westwood, is not only a tragic blow, it is a blow to the head.

Allow me answer that question with a... an answer.  Rather, I will ellaborate my musings to this grand community with a much thought-out metaphor that would make my English teacher swell with pride:  The death of Emperor is sad indeed, though few would agree that the death of Emperor is more sad than, say... the death of a kitten.

Yes, the death of a kitten is much sadder than Emperor.  Sure, you can always buy a new kitten, but that kitten will never be exactly like your old one, unless you go through the messy task of painting its fur to be identical of that of the old kitten.

Someday, kittens will be able to play Emperor.

So, to sum this up, Emperor will one day die, for it is dying.  It has been dying since the day it was born, and until it dies, I will be helping it to not die by playing online.  I urge everyone, even the Hobbtz, to join me for a game and a crumpet or two.  After Emperor does die, we'll have a helluva wake party.

Well, all i know is Westwood has taught me my lesson.  Definately not buying another westwood game again.  The only games they support anyway are C&C titles and those always seem to suck anyway.  I guess I'll just stick to Blizzard when it comes to my RTS gaming needs.

As far as I see it, EMP is indeed in its death throws, but look at it this way; all games are only good as long as the OS supports them.

So the games we play today (even the well supported ones) will one day end up off our Hard Drive and sitting on the shelf.

So, enjoy them ALL while we can, and as long as people keep playing, EMP will live, even it is lamed by WW actions.

Spoot

I hate it when old but really good games can't be played because the technology is so ancient. I had an old computer with games that only ran on windows 3.0. Now I can't find repairs to save my life, I HATE the idea that one day this will happen to Emperor. I don't have many other games like it, I think it's brilliant, I'll be sad to see it go...... :'(

no it's not

If you have a dial up you could get kicked alot since battle.net lets everyone see your latency BEFORE the game starts (*cough* learn ww *cough*)

If you have a stable connection you can host all you want cause theres a lot of people on battle.net with dsl, and dsl jumps up and down alot.

I've actually been d/c from more wwol games in the 5 or 6 months i played emperor than in all two years i played star craft (thats no joke, and its sad)

Emperor........Was a great game....She....had a lot of Potentail....She died...not of from the blade of compition but from the vial disase know as lack of suport. She could have been another Red Alert,Another Starcraft another great RTS game, but she wasnt. I will miss her very much and she will still have a small corner of my RTS heart. Her time has passed my friends. Its time to move on. Good by emperor you queen of RTS games you dutches of 3d. :'( Good by.

• 2 months later...

Emperor will not fully die for years, it will not die until there are way better graphic games. Emperor will cling on with life for years to come? How do I know this you ask? Because I have been playing this game online for over and year and it has high population and low its like a stock market, but it will live no worries. until next post, Vilgent.

Well a reformation has sweept thru Emperor.... the Hobbtz are dead and no more....their are more newbies than ever now...people have nicer computers now that are able to run emperor's greedy system requirement demands.....so Emperor might actually jump up off the operating table , rip off all its IV bags, heart monitor equipment, EKG monitors, bolt pass the hospital guards, and make it to green pastures where she can let everyone enjoy her.....it aint over....until you hear everyone across the nation uninstall emperor from their hard drives and install C & C generals with a synchronized clicking of 300 million desktop mice...[red]**CLICK**[/red]