Battle of The Line

exatreide

The Battle of the line

A fiction By

Exatreides

The Gavel slammed with a thunderous scream for order. The crowd of 200,000 looked down towards the stage in anticipation.

"You all know how important these meetings are. I expect your full attention." Mayor Mitchell said his voice booming through the stadium." Our scout planes have detected a massive movement towards Chausce Bruxeles." He paused for a moment

"We have over 350 million heading towards the city."

Cries of outrage rang through the stadium as if they could punish each other for the coming onslaught.

"It doesn't matter if it was the mines that brought them here or the smell. The fact is that they are coming. We have to options stand and fight for Chausce Bruxeles the town we have worked so hard to build from the ashes. The voting will be outside the mass will arrive in 7 days. We have that long to either prepare the evacuations or the defenses. But for all those who want to leave let me ask you. Where would you go? What would you do after you left? This is Bruxeles we have fought and died for this city. The last haven for humanity. That is all I have to say. God help us all." He turned and walked away.

Chaos rang through the stadium and people piled out accusing each other. Scared and frightened. Some of them would be leaving in the night trying to avoid the coming maelstroms others stocking up on supplies and weapons. But each and every one of them voted.

"How bad could it be Ben?" Mitchell asked General Ben Jacob the leader of New Frances military.

"Well we have handled everything from 100 to 10,000 of them before. But 350 million? We have 60,000 battle capable troops sir. another 40,000 militia. There coming in from all directions and we don't have the man power to hold. I had the brains do the math sir. Thats 3500 wakers for every troop we got. I ain't got a damn army of Rambo's here.

"What about the Agamemnon?" Mitchell asked referring to the one 10 megaton H bomb the city kept in case of emergency.

"Well sir we could probably clear a good half million of em with a good blast. But i doubt it would make much difference. As it stands we cant hold. Farley had a idea that we close up some of the mountain passes and try to get em to come from the east."

"Across the plains." The mayor said finishing for him

"Yes sir but that blocks us in as well." The general said chewing on the tooth pick.

"Besides evacuation its the only choice."

"Yes sir it is The populace wont like it to much. And the fact that if we get enough of them condensed in the plains its a lot easier for our planes and Arty to take out large some large chunks of them. We can mine the shit out if it and set up a hard point."

"Hard point?"

"We make a line we put everything on it. Tanks, Militia, infantry Arty everything we got. We can poor out some damn good condensed gun fire. But if the hard line falls we got nothing left but women and pistols."

"General You have 7 days to steal whatever resources you need. You may use every man women and child in this city.

"Yes Sir."

"I hope the rest of them understand how foolish fighting is. We cant stop all of those., Its crazy. Your not going to there are your Ryan?" Great Aunt Rose asked rocking in the wooden chair.

"We cant run you know that. You have been here longer then almost all of us. Why do you want to run?" Ryan asked

"Because I'm to old to fight. Your my only relation left in this world I don't want you to die." She said with worry in her voice.

"Don't worry I can take care of myself. Just get to the shelter when the battle comes." He said his hand reassuringly patting her on the shoulder.

"If the vote comes back for fighting." She said smiling

"It will." He knew the city would fight even against such impossible odds the city would still fight till the end.

The Afternoon prayer bell rang out from the bell towers. The Muslims of the city being called to pray. Ryan envied them. They had declared a Jihad upon the deadite army's swearing to Allah that they would liberate the Earth once more and retake Mecca. They fought with determination and honor. Each one of them ready to embrace death.

"5 nights till pass over begins." His aunt said still rocking.

"The temple's will be busy." He said The over 10,000 Jews would be preparing for the final battle.

"We will make it."

"This is Red Russia to all choppers Prepare for operation Death storm, I repeat prepare for operation Death storm." Control tower came over the sounds of the weapons discharging.

The choppers joined each other half way up the mountain waiting for the c-130's to do their part.

"Hurry up." Stanly spat into com. The damn things better get here quick.

His hopes were answered as a dozen C-130's came in tree top level their rear ramps open spewing misty liquid upon tens of thousands of flesh thirsty wakers. They turned and made another pass, then another. Each time coating another sector in the misty liquid. The finally pulled up and raced towards the top of the mountain to preform their final evacuation of civilians.

The choppers hovered for a moment before the word came.

"Fire" Control tower ordered.

A dozen rockets raced out towards the mass below each explosion lighting the hundreds of gallons that each plane had dropped. The flame seemed to move in slow motion. Moving like a drifting dune over rocks lighting the masses corpses into masses of charred cinders. The wave consumed tens of thousands of dead licking them with its devilish fury.

"bar-Be-Q!" The shout came from another one of the choppers.

"All Choppers Return to Line. All choppers return to line priority Red." Control tower ordered quickly.

"You heard the lady. Move up fire as you go." The Angle of death said its blades lifting it towards the peak.

"Were running low on mini gun ammo." Jarin said addressing the weapons display in front of him.

"Switch to back up then." Stan said moving the chopper in a arc pattern around the path.

Jarin pulled out his side arm and fired down upon the hoards below.

"I'm out. and were out of ammo we need to re arm."

"No problemo." Stan said the chopper lifting

"Oh shit!" Stan screamed in horror several systems blinked red in distress

"What the fucks the problem!" Jarin asked

"Stabilizers hit we might not make it."

"What do you mean!" Jarin asked the panic building in his voice.

"We took some shrapnel or something. We might not make it.

The chopper continued to lift but groaning and creaking sounds filled the cockpit.

"Fuck!"

It dropped like a stone after that right in the middle of the waker migration

"White star is down. Line is starting to collapse in sectors one through 5. Militia sending forces to aid. 3 planes loaded with civvies. Other two fast approaching weight limit." Control tower said her voice filled with panic

Mayor Mitchell had never been the pessimistic but watching his town, his empire fall in one night. Was to much

He put his side arm in his mouth and fired a single round.

"Fuck! There at the mark!" The major screamed the deadites had managed to build a staircase. Thousands of corpses 40 feet high. The line was falling.

Angela Fired a burst the shells tearing slamming into the empty eye sockets of what had once been a human. It fell back destroyed.

"Hold the line!" The major screamed slamming the but of his rifle against one of them, "Nothing gets through no matter what."

Ryan pitched a grenade over the wall. It exploded sending shrapnel over dozens of corpses. Not enough to matter.

Kari stopped her clip empty. She looked down and grabbed a new one. Something grabbed her shoulder in the process she looked up instantly and screamed a round impacted the creature in the legs. It slid back down the line but its grip upon Kari didn't loosen it carried her down with it Her screams could be heard above the gun fire.

"The line has collapsed. The troops are falling back. All C-130's have taken off." The control tower said

"Oh hell." The general spit the tooth pick out and grabbed his side arm. "I want those choppers loaded and filled with personnel. Until then I want every man women and child on that line." He opened the door and rushed out a hundred officers and troops rushed out to aid the collapsing line.

"Fall back! fall back in the name of god fall back!" A voice shouted from down the line.

"Hold the fucking line!" The major screamed he shoved a grenade in one of there mouths and shoved him down the pile of corpses. "Nothing gets through no matter what!"

Thousands of Militia began streaming up the line holding Pistols, shot guns whatever they could get their hands on. Screaming with rage and fury they joined the desperate battle.

Mortars spat rounds from behind them. Peppering the plains with fire and carnage.

Not enough to hold.

"GARG!" Ryan slammed the bayonet into the mouth of the creature. The blade popped through the back of the creatures head. Its body went limp and collapsed. He kicked it back down the pile getting his blade out in the process.

They fought desperately against over whelming odds. When they ran out of guns they used sticks and stones when they ran out of stones they used bare hands and feet.

The Artillery continued to rain fire upon those un fortunately to get in its blast range.

"Ya like that? You like that? You want some more? Come get some! come get some!" Frank screamed the Machine Guns decapitating the corpses.

"Get some body to take out that pass if we can hold here maybe we can evac the civvies." The General screamed into the com link the gun fire was overwhelming in its ferocity.

He aimed his side arm down at the mass approaching the line another 10 thousand their teeth eager for the ecstasy of human flesh.

A scream came from beside Sharpie. The major was being dragged down the line by two of them he held on desperately to the lip of the wall with one hand.

"Help me! God help me! Help me! Please! Nooo!" His grip slipped and he dragged down into the mass below. "Nooo please. God! Help me! Someone!" His screams for mercy ended in gurgling spasms of mucus and blood as they savagely torn him apart.

A bust exploded in one of there necks its head already hanging by a few bones rolled off Something grabbed his arm to the right He turned slamming the but of his rifle in creature.

"FALL BACK! FALL BACK!" The man screamed again from down the line.

"HOLD the Li-" Someone was cut off his voice drowning in a gurgle.

"Hold the line! We must hold The maginot or all is lost!" Another screamed.

Another soldier was dragged down the hill joining the rest of the corpses. And another they were getting hit left and right.

A explosion erupted in the distance and the crumbling of rocks that signified the path being closed. No more dead could make it into the plains.

"What the hell was that?" The general screamed into the com link his weapon hurling projectiles into the chest of a creature.

"The Angle of Death sir. She rammed the cliff face." The reply came back filled with static.

"Hold the fucking li-" The General stopped the troops were abandoning the fortification by the hundreds falling back to a few seconds of safety behind it.

A random artillery miss fired its shell slammed into the right side of the line blowing a huge chunk from the top of the line and killing hundreds of soldiers.

But still they fought. Their comrades being killed beside them, the screams of dead and dying. Their death was sure but still they fought on forcing the deadites to die for every square inch of land.

The gap blown by the artillery was rapidly being filled with corpses rushing into the city. The tanks rumbled over to stop them providing over lapping layers of fire to hold them back.

"Nothing gets through no matter what!" The cry was sounded through out the wall its defenders worn from hours of combat and the sharp realization that they were all going to die.

Everyone around Ryan was turning and fleeing down the ramps. The line was falling.

No reason to miss the party he thought chucked his last grenade over the wall. One reached up his hands griping Sharpie trying to pull him down.

A Bayonet through the head saved his life.

"RUN FOR IT" Someone else screamed and in one moment nearly every troop on the line fell back. The words broke through the layers of hope and defiance the men had built sending them scurrying for the cover of the cities.

The ramps were crowded with pushy soldiers shoving anyone in their way down or off the ramps. Ryan joined the men nothing could hold the line anymore. It was good as gone.

With no one stopping them the corpses hurled themselves onto the wall jumping the troops as they tried to flee teeth digging in and savoring the ecstasy of flesh.

They hurled themselves over the edge dropping the forty feet and breaking bones in their insatiable thirst.

The concrete line began to fade. Women rushed forward after their husbands as they were dragged hands reaching out for a last touch of their love.

A cry came out over the cities emergency system someone shouting in Arabic.

"Salaam! Allah Allah Ackbar! Ya Hya Chouhoda!"

Screaming erupted form thousands of Muslim troops each one drawing a blade and charging towards the creatures ignoring all out cries. Tens of thousands joined them in a last desperate charge towards the line.

Weapons seemed to fire in slow motion defenders ducked and dogged swipes and lunges by the creatures twirling and stabbing masses of anger.

The battle formed a life of its own, wave after wave after of them. The twirling of the blade the rounds splashing in the pools of blood that rapidly filled the streets. The cry of death and the shouts of defiance.

Ryan felt the cold relief of a stem pack in his veins. The fear and pain drifted away replaced only by hatred and anger

"KILL EM ALL! KILL EM ALL! KILL EM ALL!" He screamed madly joining the charge

Fin.

• 5 weeks later...

Ex, I really wonder why do you love the death-life battle so much? You materialize the fight for life, but why? Death and life are complemantary, and in your novels there is only life (in one form or another). The dead are alive - so who is dead? The living? They'll become the undead. The balance is destroyed in your novels. Is that the drama you want to express? The lack of stability?