Running on widows 10

Fox

Hi, hopefully some one here might be able to help me. I've been running emperor on windows 8 with no problems but since upgrading to win 10 it wouldnt open, kep getting a message telling me i had to run with administrator privileges, I ran as admin but this didnt make a difference, I also ran it in compatibility mode but no change. I since uninstalled with the hope a reinstall might 'magically' fix it but now I cant even install it, I click on install but nothing happens there after.

Hope this makes sense, any help appreciated, cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the exact same problem. Worse yet, I installed Emperor on a win 7 machine, played a few times and BANG. Stopped working and can't reinstall with the exact same problem as the win 10 machine. I'm thinking we are the victims of a windows update. I unwind playing Emperor. Now I'm irritated. I'm going to see if I have the list of auto updates on the 7 machine and try to backtrack. Let you know if I find an answer.

I rolled the win 7 machine back to a restore point of September 6th and disabled automatic updates. The restore point allowed me to reinstall Emperor. It works again. I was never able to install on my win 8.1 machine nor on my upgrade to win 10. My newer machine probably came with the update that disabled the game. Must be one of the security updates.

• 3 months later...
Guest FS_dunespy49

I am also having the same problem ​with win 10, someone toll me make a Windows 98 2nd edition "Virtual (Drive) Machines" on my computer but I don't know how to configure it, Virtual (Drive) Machines it's install already cant configure it? Can someone help me out?

Note: It will also run "Emperor Battle of Dune", "Dune 2000", "Dune 2", "Tiberian Sun", "Red Alert", etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I rolled the win 7 machine back to a restore point of September 6th and disabled automatic updates. The restore point allowed me to reinstall Emperor. It works again. I was never able to install on my win 8.1 machine nor on my upgrade to win 10. My newer machine probably came with the update that disabled the game. Must be one of the security updates.

I haven't tested this but it's possible the installer doesn't work on 64 bit machines. That was the issue with Dune 2000, the installer was 16bit and wouldn't work on 64 bit machines.

Hello, I'm a bit new to this forum/site...but regardless, I'm having the same problem as most of you...installer/setup won't run on Windows 10 64bit. I'm just curious, did anyone make a 64bit version of installer yet (kind of like the ones used for X-Wing & such....). I've managed to installed it in Windows 7 64bit on VMWare, then copied that folder to my desktop. Ran it, went past EA logo then crashed.exe. Any new thoughts on this issue ? Thank you all in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I was successful in getting to both install and run using the install fix download on Windows 10 clean install. Now will try to update to 1.09 version of the game after installing all the map packs and report my findings, IE the update borks it and it won't run anymore or whether it all works grandly. More to come.

...and it all works in Ver 1.09

The only difference is I manually selected putting it in the Program Files (X86) folder.

EDIT: And another successful re-install this time on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. Make sure to reinstall in the Program files (X86)\Westwood\Emperor folder, browse to it and if it doesn't exist, type it in yourself. I'm guessing that writing to the root of the C: drive is causing the problem and it's not a 64 bit program.

Now it's working on both a windows 10 and again on my Windows 7 primary gaming PC.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Just a vote of confidence for uninstalling and reinstalling in Program files(x86) in Windows 7. I had to also use the Install 1.0 fix, which I did not have to use during my original install.
As a friendly reminder, when you uninstall do not let the wizard remove your save files. All you'll need to do is copy the save folder into the new Data folder and you can pick up right where you left off.

Thanks very much for the information.