[Release] Campaign for 2000 - Dune 2 style (all houses)

Cm_blast

Some months ago I uploaded here a Campaign inspired in the style of Dune 2. This means a plain terrain without mountains and limited spice. The enemy can attack for any direction and you can attack him for any direction.

Finally, after several tests, I ended the mod and now is playable for the three houses, each one with his own levels.

I did several changes compared to the old version. For example the mid level maps are bigger. Bigger maps means your base is surrounded by sand instead appearing in the very edge of the map (the same for the enemy). The spice is more spreaded instead just 3 huge mine fields and the enemy reinforcements (dropping near your base) have more room to appear behind your base if I want.

Also the IA starts with more money in several missions.

Someone in this forum mentioned how in Dune 2 the game check the victory flags every 5 seconds. I added this to the game, so when you destroy the last building the "mission accomplished" text will appear in the next 5 seconds instead instantly.

Now, the game itself.

This mod is not hard. I just want to traslate the feeling of Dune 2 (no mountains, limited spice, attack or being attacker without terrain bottlenecks. Only missions 8 and 9 are more harder and if you play them in hard maybe then they are challenging for pro players. In level 8 the enemy have better incoming resources; and in level 9 not only the 3 vs 1, but you low starting money and the several enemy reinforcements droping around your base can be hard to stop.

About differences playing with the 3 houses:

Is a kind of balance for the three houses, although maybe you can find 1 being more easy than another, but in general they have pros and contras.

-Atreides: the Airstrike can destroy a building for free and with 6-8 fremen you can go anywhere you want and destroy a building. Their contra is the Sonic tank which can destroy your own units and make you more bad than good (Keep in mind not all people are pro players).

-Ordos: Weak tanks and the lack of missile tanks plus all your the enemies can use their missile tanks against you. But they pro side is a ridiculously strong saboteur. With him you can demolish almost any building you want very easily.

-Harkonnen: The strongest tanks. The devastador is more easy to use than the sonic tank. Their contra is the Death hand not being as usefull as the other palace weapons. Also enemy airstrike plus sabouteur plus deviator over your devastator (and activating the self-destruct) can be hard to deal with.

Attached File:

In the file is included all the maps and mis. Both spanish and english text.uib. I copy the english briefing directly for a website. I fixed 2 or 3 typos, but maybe there are some more.

Curious fact:

In the spanish version of Dune 2 the translators made a mistake with the money needed in the first level. Because of this they change the "advice" section in the mentat option.

In english the game said you need 1000 credits to beat the level. The advice said you to build concretes and placing the windtrap over them. Then do the same for the refinery.

However, in Spanish, the game said you need 1800 credits, so the advice were changed to said you need a refinery and a silo to reach the 1800 credits.

There isn't silos in the first level, and the quota is still 1000 credits.

By luck in Dune 2000 the silos are available in the first level, so both spanish and english advices are right.

Images: One per House, just to show the terrain where you are going to build your base.

to download this campaign go to this other link: (campaign fully updated).
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27503-release-dune-2-based-campaign-for-dune-2000-old-campaign-rearrange/

Edited by Cm_blast
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dune 2 doesn't have such blocky spice fields, though :P

Those screeshots were taken from the editor (Toolkit). Luckily the game change thoses squares and make them looks better. Only looks so blocked if you place a square of "thick spice" surrounded by sand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/22/2016 at 7:54 PM, aarmaageedoon said:

Download link seems not to be working anymore.

Here for you:

Reminder: this campaing is outdated. Doesn't work with Launcher and you need to remplace the original game missions and text.uib.

Edited by Cm_blast